Why become a member? ×

Ashdown owners....

Kobra11

[quote name='Kobra11' timestamp='1358973658' post='1948038']
Theres 2 inputs active and passive, im using a passive bass (Yamaha RBX170) through the passive input

Sounds fine, just worried it might damage it long term
[/quote]

If you're worried, try the bass through the active input which may give you more control with the gain knob

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358973772' post='1948040']

If you're worried, try the bass through the active input which may give you more control with the gain knob
[/quote]

+1

If the bass has a particularly hot (high output) pickup, then using the active input basically just attenuates the signal a bit and makes the preamp stage a bit more controlable.

Yeah try the active input and see if this calms things down. You're not using any pedals with boost are you?
I used to use an RBX170 with an EB combo, and never had this. Does it sound ok? Not distorted? What are your tone settings etc? These will also affect the VU meter.
Cheers
Geoff

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1358975156' post='1948077']
+1

If the bass has a particularly hot (high output) pickup, then using the active input basically just attenuates the signal a bit and makes the preamp stage a bit more controlable.
[/quote]

+1. Some passive basses can have very high output. And conversely some active basses have a low output.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1359006953' post='1948349']
Yeah try the active input and see if this calms things down. You're not using any pedals with boost are you?
I used to use an RBX170 with an EB combo, and never had this. Does it sound ok? Not distorted? What are your tone settings etc? These will also affect the VU meter.
Cheers
Geoff
[/quote]

All my pedals were switched off, my bass/mid/treble are all around the 3 oclock position, u think i should dial them back a bit?

[quote name='Kobra11' timestamp='1359023712' post='1948514']
All my pedals were switched off, my bass/mid/treble are all around the 3 oclock position, u think i should dial them back a bit?
[/quote]

Yep, if they all are at three o'clock its IN THEORY the same as raising the gain on your signal, so you would get the same effect using the knobs at 12oclock and raising the gain a bit. I repeat, this is theoreticaly speaking.

When using EQ the main thing to keep in mind is to have all settings balanced around the 0dB position:

Read pages 7, 8 and 9 of this manual:
[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/SMX.PDF"]http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/SMX.PDF[/url]
The chapter called "Using the Graphic Equalizer". I know you don't have a graph EQ on your amp but the main idea is the same ;)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1359027456' post='1948585']
Yep, if they all are at three o'clock its IN THEORY the same as raising the gain on your signal, so you would get the same effect using the knobs at 12oclock and raising the gain a bit. I repeat, this is theoreticaly speaking.

When using EQ the main thing to keep in mind is to have all settings balanced around the 0dB position:

Read pages 7, 8 and 9 of this manual:
[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/SMX.PDF"]http://www.britishau...om/inst/SMX.PDF[/url]
The chapter called "Using the Graphic Equalizer". I know you don't have a graph EQ on your amp but the main idea is the same ;)
[/quote]

Ok thanks, looks like where i've got the knobs at 3 oclock i'm boosting it too much

Having the Bass on 3 oclock is the main problem - way too much! Try all eq flat to start with, and take it from there. The VU meter measures the preamp signal going to the Output control, so will be affected by the settings of the eq section, hence the big swing of the needle :)

The bass boost button on my mag 300 has the same effect and it's made worse if the bass is on 3 o clock. I run mine with all levels about 12 o clock , input at 3 o clock and boost off.... Only occasionally does the signal go in the red then ... To my newbie mind it seems to be the low bass signal to blame