Why become a member? ×

Quick Finishing Questions

Stroopy121

Hey,

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Anyway, I have a maple neck, with maple board. I want to paint the headstock, add a decal then finish with tru oil or similar.

In my head the process would be:

Paint headstock
Sand paint
Repaint if necessary
repeat till pretty.
add decal
oil - 3 coats
sand
another 3 coats of oil

Now, first of all - is that right to paint the headstock then oil over it? Or should it go oil - paint - decal - more oil? Or what..?

Next - should I just oil the maple board the same as I plan to with the rest of the neck? Should I mask the board and leave it unfinished...?

Etc etc.

Have found a few tips on finishing the NECK but it's all been using rosewood and always said to mask it and not finish it, but I'm not sure if I should do the same with a maple board?

Any help appreciated,
Ta

xx

This is why I'm glad I asked.

So I paint and decal, oil the neck (but don't oil the painted headstock) and then laquer over the headstock?

Or should I ditch the oil altogether if I want to paint and just go with an all over laquer?

Sorry if these are n00b questions, but I'm a n00b to this.

xx

Yup - I agree with the above. I would stick with paint / lacquer and avoid oil. If you don't want to faff about with varnish spray cans, then standard polyurethane varnish (eg Ronseal Hardglaze Clear Varnish), thinned down by around 30% with standard decorators White Spirit, can be applied very successfully by hand, using a microfibre cloth (again - available all over the place). This was done like that, and a painted one would come out just as well:

Hope this helps!
Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1358790056' post='1945069']
Yup - I agree with the above. I would stick with paint / lacquer and avoid oil. If you don't want to faff about with varnish spray cans, then standard polyurethane varnish (eg Ronseal Hardglaze Clear Varnish), thinned down by around 30% with standard decorators White Spirit, can be applied very successfully by hand, using a microfibre cloth (again - available all over the place). This was done like that, and a painted one would come out just as well:

Hope this helps!
Andy
[/quote]

Godsend, thank you.

The reason I was thinking about using oil was that I had found a few folks recommending it as it can give a nice, fast finish to a neck and be reasonably easy to apply - I hadn't thought you could use varnish without having to spray it on and was worried about runs in it etc etc.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

Is the neck already polyestered? e.g. on the back? Oil won't get you anywhere with that and speed. To get a fast neck, wet and dry it with say, 1200 grit.

As for fingerboards, rosewood isn't finished. Maple generally is... unless you are with the Musicman crowd and like your necks getting grubby.

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1359033407' post='1948715']

Godsend, thank you.

The reason I was thinking about using oil was that I had found a few folks recommending it as it can give a nice, fast finish to a neck and be reasonably easy to apply - I hadn't thought you could use varnish without having to spray it on and was worried about runs in it etc etc.

xx
[/quote]I used truoil for all of my original veneer jobs (see avatar and/or web site) thinking the same. Then followed a web tip ref wiped thinned varnish and wow! - even easier and MUCH better result