Why become a member? ×

Stingray or not!

rodacademy

Wawicks are great sounding basses in their own right , and a SS1 is a particulaly nice one , so that's a tough call . Stingrays are very distinctive sounding basses that people tend to love or hate , so a lot depends on how much you want to add that Music Man sound to your arsenal . Would it be a Stingray four or five ? The five is a bit more tonally versatile , but any Stingray will be radically different to your Warwicks . Music Man basses have their own sound with plenty of cut , but not the same midrange growl as a Warwick . Stingrays are more scooped in the low mids with an emphasis in the upper mids and treble .

Cheers for that, I'm finding no matter what I do with the Warwick, it wont cut through! Played around with bass and amp but it just seems to mid-high out! My Streamer 11 4 string is ok but I play 5's now, and I have a dolphin thats the dogs, but fancied a change and thought the MM would growl like a MF!

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1358769662' post='1944570']
Cheers for that, I'm finding no matter what I do with the Warwick, it wont cut through! Played around with bass and amp but it just seems to mid-high out! My Streamer 11 4 string is ok but I play 5's now, and I have a dolphin thats the dogs, but fancied a change and thought the MM would growl like a MF!
[/quote]

I've never owned a Warwick myself but I've played and heard many and I am surprised you can't cut through with the SS1 . They tend to have the strong mids that we all know and love Wawick basses for , and in my experience that's what gets you heard . Have you listened back to recordings of live playing with a band to hear how it sounds ? Sometimes your perception of things can be very different to what people are hearing out front . Maybe changing the pickups on the SS1 would remedy it if you decide against the Stingray . The humbuckers on the SS1 might be a very different proposition in terms of sound to the PJ arrangement on the four string model .

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1358766020' post='1944501']
Guys
I have 3 warwicks and was thinking about getting rid of my 5 string streamer 1 and get a stingray!
Need a change of sound with nice growl also need it too cut through!
Any thoughts??
[/quote] How can't you cut through with a SS1? I found mine usually was too present in the mix until I change the pups/pre. I would think if it's growl or cutting through you're after a SS1 would be up there with or ahead of a stingray - but differently.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Played around with bass and amp but it just seems to mid-high out![/font][/color][/quote] what does this mean?