Why become a member? ×

Markbass Compressore

Mook

Just took delivery of this big beast. Haven't had much chance to mess with it but with a high enough threshold and fairly slow attack and release it really warms and fattens up the tone nicely......I'm liking it a lot so far and look forward to gigging it now.

• 2 weeks later...

It hogs SO much space on my small(ish) board but I really don't care!

To me a compressor you're chuffed with comes number 1 besides having EQ to hand. And this is the one for me. Especially since I put a mullard valve in it ;)

Come to think of it: this is the only pedal I own that I haven't thought about letting go!

Enjoy!

Edited by Ashwood1985

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1359300349' post='1952677']
It hogs SO much space on my small(ish) board but I really don't care!

To me a compressor you're chuffed with comes number 1 besides having EQ to hand. And this is the one for me. Especially since I put a mullard valve in it ;)

Come to think of it: this is the only pedal I own that I haven't thought about letting go!

Enjoy!
[/quote]

Does the Mullard valve make or more, or less gainy?

Am looking at some way of warming up my Markbass combo, to get something like the gain on the Little Mark Tube, and this pedal would seem to be a good way of doing so, by others comments. With added compression, of course.

Hi Lozz,

With the stock ehx ecc81 when I clamped down hard with the compression to get a fat over impressed tone to play with a light touch, I would find there to be more break up, which wasn't really what I wanted

With the mullard I've found it to remain much more 'firm' and 'fat' at these extreme settings.

Overall, including at very light compression, I would say the mullard is somewhat LESS grainy and in fact rather silky smooth and warm

:)

These are my experiences and opinions of course but I hope that can help on your tone quest!

Bare in mind that using the pedal for warmth; you will have to have more compression for more tube and vice versa! My approach is this for some warm compression (always on) and a DHA vt1 for the more noticeable tubiness. (the mark bass comp's tube sound is in no way in your face and really is rather subtle - which I like).

Ash

Edited by Ashwood1985

• 1 month later...