Why become a member? ×

Stingray help...

lowdowner

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358207204' post='1935052']
True but unlike fender just throwing together bits of existing models to make a reissue often technically wrong even when they had the right bits all along the classic rays have required pats not made or fitted on their bases for years by MM or ever by ebmm.
[/quote] yes. but they don't seem to make a pink one any more.

this is regrettable

My Bongo 4HH is by far the best bass I've ever played.

My observations (hope these help you):
1. Looks - some love it, some call it a loo seat.
2. Neck - painted - mine's worn in lovely and glossy; I generally find EBMM necks a little sensitive to temp (but consistent with each other and easy enough to set a compromise so you're not always adjusting); truss-rod wheel is great
3. Weight - light.
4. Balance - good.
5. Tone - range of tones is virtually unbeatable; some folk say a little "hifi" as opposed to "organic" but can certainly approximate a 'Ray, and the first bass where I've been proud to listen back to my recorded performances.
6. Controls - 18v active electronics are very capable; some players are worried about the potential to accidentally key in a completely wrong tone at a bad time in a performance until they get used to the stacked 4-band eq controls; I reckon its easy to get used to and all 4 knobs (plus the pickup pan) have centre detents.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358199364' post='1934841']
Stingray - the original, 2/3 band EQ, alinco pickup
Sterling - smaller body, ceramic pickup, extra hidden coil
Singray 5 - another beast altogether with some changes through the years
Bongo - what happens if folk who don't play bass design a bass.
classic - musicman realise how much money fender make with reissuing old looking basses

oh of course you can have any of these with the classic one humbucker, or with another pickup in there...
[/quote]
Bongo - what happens if folk who don't play bass design a bass.

That's the best description of a bongo I have ever heard lol and I loved mine !!

I did hate the looks and the painted neck, which I sanded down and oiled. But a great tone mind you I don't think a bass should be praised because its even over all the strings. That's how it's meant to be.

Big al .... Normally i Hate pointy basses but man I think this is one cool looking bass.

Sterling made for girls and skinny small men looks silly on a big fella

Don't buy new if you buy second hand you can normally get a mint condition used one for about half the cost of one new

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1358373737' post='1938240']
Sterling made for girls and skinny small men looks silly on a big fella
[/quote]

Ha ha. I've a Sterling fretless and love it. But then I'm a small skinny guy. :-)
Don't underestimate the Sterling though. The brand new fretted Sterling I tried a few days ago was an absolute revelation to me (having owned a StingRay in the 80s). Lovely to hold, lovely size, lovely to play and one hell of a punch.
Sterling is one underrated bass in my opinion.

CB

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358207204' post='1935052']
True but unlike fender just throwing together bits of existing models to make a reissue often technically wrong even when they had the right bits all along the classic rays have required pats not made or fitted on their bases for years by MM or ever by ebmm.
[/quote]

I'm all for reissuing punctuation.