Why become a member? ×

Cab/Amp Advice Needed

neptunehealer

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358436929' post='1939131']
Only you can say whether one cab is better than the other for the music you play and the band you are in.

In reality they are all way better than what you are using at the moment.

For what I play I would prefer the sound of the Aguilar cabs. But the Genz cabs are very good too, so you'll have to hear them.
[/quote]

Great point there really, i think it's all too easy to get bogged down and over analyse and unduly worry about this kind of stuff. The bottom line is either will be a massive (hopefully) upgrade from my current sound and setup.

I think i'll go down the Genz route as it's cost effect and an improvement. Also the GB cabs are apparently quite light, and my Laney weighs a tonne.
I have read that the Aggy cabs for sale are both on the heavy side.

I was guess the GS210 is around 55lbs. That is not heavy in my book.
The GS212 should possibly be on casters so that might negate 60 plus lbs to a degree.
Not as much as the 410 and 115 you were contemplating, I'd bet..

I would say those GS cabs are a lot or power for your money.

That is a proper stage rig and providing you like the sound, would be ALL you need in 99.9%
of cases..or else you have some great gigs in your diary. :lol:

But you might like GB better..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1358439522' post='1939198']
I was guess the GS210 is around 55lbs. That is not heavy in my book.
The GS212 should possibly be on casters so that might negate 60 plus lbs to a degree.
Not as much as the 410 and 115 you were contemplating, I'd bet..

I would say those GS cabs are a lot or power for your money.

That is a proper stage rig and providing you like the sound, would be ALL you need in 99.9%
of cases..or else you have some great gigs in your diary. :lol:

But you might like GB better..
[/quote]

Being honest i need to hear what Aguilar cabs sound like, i have only heard the GB on youtube which i liked. Will try and dig some youtube clips out.
Going by watts, the Aguilar's are only offering 50 watts more in power combined arn't they? or am i missing something?

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1358439800' post='1939208']Going by watts, the Aguilar's are only offering 50 watts more in power combined arn't they? or am i missing something?[/quote]

Yes, it's the volume displacement that matters (i.e. how much air the cab can move) not the thermal power handling. The thermal handling only tells you what it takes to kill them - what's important is how loud the cab goes before it starts to sound bad and the power handling rating doesn't tell you that.

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1358439800' post='1939208']
Being honest i need to hear what Aguilar cabs sound like, i have only heard the GB on youtube which i liked. [/quote]

That's not a very meaningful way to audition equipment. You need to hear it in the flesh. If it was recorded badly and then you play it back through poor quality PC speakers, you will have a very skewed idea of how it sounds. :(