Why become a member? ×

Hartke lh500 - warm up time?

lefrash

I've got an hatrke lh500. I gets used maximum once a week. When I got it at first (used) I clocked the start up time at about 10 seconds ie from turning it on to getting sound from it. Now its about 2 minutes. It always turns on, and it always works perfectly fine after this delay. Anyone else got this issue? Anyone got an idea whether its something I should worry about?

Edited by lefrash

I had an LH1000 for quite a while, and it always took about 12 seconds to fully turn on. IIRC the delay is caused by a protection circuit making sure there is nothing in the path that could damage the amp, so an increased startup time could be due to some dodgy/loose connections inside maybe?

I would take it to a tech/friend who knows about this kind of stuff and get them to check it. Can't hurt tbh :)

2 minutes sounds like an issue, and you might want to get it checked out - and a service never hurts, if it's getting a lot of use.

I've had a couple of Hartke amps, and have both taken a few moments to fully power-up - which I assume is the protection measure mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update with this.... its not got any better with everything unplugged whilst starting it up. It seems to be intermittent too, and only seems to be like this when it has been left unused for a few days. The blue limiter LED has failed too now, so I wonder if theres an issue with that.

I cant see anywhere else online with other users having the same problem, so I'm guessing taking it in is the next step. Life is difficult for an amp - even if its only for a week or so!

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1359512567' post='1956062']
I'm wondering if your pre-amp tube is going?
[/quote]

I wouldnt have thought so as the sound once it starts up is as clear as it always has been. Wouldnt a worn preamp valve give loss of signal or some hum perhaps? I suppose it might be worthwhile just picking up a spare anyway and giving it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bugrit! My LH500 started to do this, or something very similar, last week - instead of the usual 12 seconds to come up, it sometimes took significantly longer but was OK once it got there.

Then this weekend, setting up for a gig and it did it again, but this time it came on - I heard the protection stuff click, then it clicked again...and nothing. No output, nada, zilch.

Luckily I had the HA spare in the car, so no problems there - the show must go on! - but it looks like I'll be putting the Thomann 3-year warranty to the test in the next few days:(

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1362588073' post='2001765']
Bugrit! My LH500 started to do this, or something very similar, last week - instead of the usual 12 seconds to come up, it sometimes took significantly longer but was OK once it got there.

Then this weekend, setting up for a gig and it did it again, but this time it came on - I heard the protection stuff click, then it clicked again...and nothing. No output, nada, zilch.

Luckily I had the HA spare in the car, so no problems there - the show must go on! - but it looks like I'll be putting the Thomann 3-year warranty to the test in the next few days:(
[/quote]

thats a pain in the arse. Atleast you have a back up and a warranty! I couldnt find anything else online with other LH500's doing the same, so lets hope its just a couple of isolated incidents rather than a design flaw!

Yeah - I've had a good hunt around t'interweb, and it doesn't seem to be a common problem. It is a PITA, but since I had an Acoustic head literally go up in smoke in the '80s (no backup, end of gig) I've always carried a spare, which I never needed until now.

I've had quite a bit of Hartke gear, and this is the first hiccup to date.

Here's hoping that Thomann come good - I'll let you know the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1363611222' post='2014652']
Well, full marks to Thomann.

Old amp returned, at their expense, no questions asked, and a brand new replacement delivered in double-quick time.
[/quote]

Got to say, I've heard and seen quite a few positive comments about Thomann.

They seem to be giving customer satisfaction the attention it deserves. :)