Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Fender Tony Franklin Precision (fretted)

mingsta

Has anyone had any experience of the Tony Franklin Precision (fretted version)?

I'm fundamentally after a really good classic P-bass tone, which led me down the path of a passive american standard P-bass. Was trying to find one in a natural finish, and ended up stumbling upon the Tony Franklin PJ model .

I like the fact that its got a switchable P/J rather than a blend knob - is this preferable if you want to get a pure unadulterated P-bass tone and use just the P pickup for 70% of the time? Is there any volume change when switching pickups? Would also be interested to know what the build quality is like, is it on par with the recent Fenders (which I understand to have improved in quality)?

I'm gonna have to move on my Sadowsky Metro HPJ4 to fund this. Its a great instrument but in many ways it fills the same slot as my go-to Stingray 4HH (both active, same color, rosewood board) and I've also now realised that I prefer the thicker neck of a 'Ray/P-bass. Am I mad to be selling this on?