Why become a member? ×

Quality of sound becoming less important?

paulpirie8

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1357659210' post='1926167']
I remember reading interviews with loads of producers and musicians in "International Musician & Recording World" in the 70's and 80's and they all seemed to mix using auratone cubes, which was a tiny plastic speaker and apparently gave them an idea of what their music would sound like on a transistor radio. As that was where most people heard music, it seemed logical, as if it sounded good on a tiny radio, it would sell more.
[/quote]

A couple of years ago Francis & Rick from Quo were doing a Radio 2 i'view. The DJ (might have been Mayo or Wright possibly) played "Paperplane" (1972/3??) and after it the two of them were in fits at hearing it over the studio monitors; saying they hadn't heard it as good as that since the day they recorded it. They wanted to hear it again.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1357660594' post='1926208']
People still reference with auratones (Behringer make a cheap version of the auratone even!)

They allow you to concentrate on the mids on a small box with no port and pretty even though limited requency response. Often people will mix on a single auratone in mono, to get levels, check how transients are reacting together, ensure there is enough space in the mids for vocals etc.

Of course then you have to recheck everythig on the bigger monitors to get any idea of what is going on in the bass, and get soem panning sorted in the mix, theoretically when you get as far as the panning suddenly everything has its own space and the whole mix sounds really defined with a space for everything and everything in its place.

NS10s on the other hand, they just plain suck ;)
[/quote]

I've never enjoyed the sound of Horrortones, but recognise the necessity of their evil.

Wonder what these would sound like in a small box:

http://www.tymphany.com/files/PLS-P830987%20Rev1_0.pdf

for me... I picked up a decent separates system someone had left by the bin a year or so back. It was great, left it with my old flatmates in glasgow. At some point I'll pick up another sepreates system. But it will all be secondhand stuff, all wired with normal wires from maplin and will sound great.
It's a good philosophy for stuff, my bass playing has mostly included cheap things that no-one wanted. The exceptions being the JV which cost a fair bit and the ACG preamp which was the first thing I bought new for years. (well my cab was new too but that doesn't count)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357649475' post='1925900']
Haven't read the thread, but I'd just like to say that it's the mastering that's boils my p*ss. It's all mastered for tin-pot car speakers or earphones bought from a market stall.

It's like listening to wallpaper.
[/quote]

+1. Though CD may be capable of great things it is no surprise to hear Rush, Muse, RHCP, Metallica..........etc sound like a bag of spanners due to mastering. More obscure artists tend to produce a better quality product, audio wise IMO. No surprise that albums recorded many years ago replayed on a decent turntable sound far superior to CD due to the current "louder is better" mastering process. Check out www.turnmeup.org for interesting discussion on this.

Edited by leroydiamond