Why become a member? ×

Schaweeeeeeeet lookin' Sad

Kiwi

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sadowsky-NYC-Bass_W0QQitemZ180241502973QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sadowsky-NYC-Bass_W0...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Gorgeous sausage quilt top! Reasonable starting price and there seems to be a bit of interest.

I'm probably being picky and it shouldn't affect my judgement but...

The fact that the screws from the s'plate have been reinserted into the holes means that I assume he has screwed them in so that they are flush with the surface (unless they were just put in for the pics but not sure why you would). This looks a bit ugly so if it was me I'd remove them... does this leave slightly enlarged, fairly unsightly holes OR if you were to fit a replacement s'plate (why would you with that timber) will the fact that the screws have been screwed down into the wood to a greater depth mean that when you fit a s'plate the existing screws will not bite as they aren't going in as deep. Does that make sense?

Lush bass BTW

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='200177' date='May 16 2008, 09:37 AM']I'm probably being picky and it shouldn't affect my judgement but...

The fact that the screws from the s'plate have been reinserted into the holes means that I assume he has screwed them in so that they are flush with the surface (unless they were just put in for the pics but not sure why you would). This looks a bit ugly so if it was me I'd remove them... does this leave slightly enlarged, fairly unsightly holes OR if you were to fit a replacement s'plate (why would you with that timber) will the fact that the screws have been screwed down into the wood to a greater depth mean that when you fit a s'plate the existing screws will not bite as they aren't going in as deep. Does that make sense?

Lush bass BTW[/quote]

On basses like this, Roger will often put a clear scratchplate to allow the quilt top to show through. As for the screws that are in there, I can understand what you're getting at - looking at the picture, the seller appears to have screwed them in only as far as the depth of the original whole, so the head's are not sitting flugh, but are slightly raised above the body. As you said, though, if you remove them, it leaves the screw holes which look a bit bleh, so I'd be inclined to put the scratch plate back on.

I've got two Sadowsky basses that are near on identical to this (one with the same finish, the other in trans blue, both with quilt tops), and they're absolutely awesome basses. If this stays around that price, it will be an absolute steal.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='201374' date='May 18 2008, 08:58 AM']blimey, what a steal. Must have been a fair few tyre kickers on that one then.[/quote]

It's the sort of price that makes you think "sh*t, I should have had a bid"!!!! :)

I bought one of my Sadowskys direct from Roger, and the other I got on Ebay from a seller in the US. Both purchases were over 4 years ago, and I can assure you both cost a lot more than this!! I would've thought that price was Metro territory.