Why become a member? ×

2x15 vs 8x10

cocco

Didn't want to give any impression that 10's were rubbish. I did try to say that opinions will differ to avoid any offence at all (I guess I must have failed).

My own experience tells me I don't get on with 10's and would always use a 2x15 but that's just me. Rightly or wrongly I have been thoroughly delighted with the same cab for nearly 25 years which must have saved me an absolute fortune in buying and selling other cabs.

Use two 1x15s, then it looks and sounds like a stack for those big stages and need to 'look loud' occasions, but just one for those tiny back street pub stages that I play when you are all squeezed up. Our next gig stage is so small the 5 piece band assemble like a 5 a side team, drummer (goalkeeper) at the back, and then 2 defenders, 2 attackers :)

Personally I've found the two particular 1x15 cabs I have give me everything I need. As others have suggested, if you get chance to try some other cabs go for it, even if it takes up a chunk of a day going somewhere to try them. You're going to spend money on it, best to make sure it's right!

The thing is, different makes of 1x15 can sound completely different to other 1x15s, just as different makes of 8x10 can sound different. I can't recommend Jack 15's enough, but I wouldn't recommend an Ashdown 1x15 to anyone unless they were looking for a cheap second-hand box. That's just my experience. I've never owned an 8x10 but have used an Ampeg and an Ashdown when sharing gear, and while I preferred the Ampeg (I could get fullness and a bit of punch) to the Ashdown (sounded like it had a blanket over it) neither of them made me want to shift to an 8x10.

Unfortunately, I think you just have to get out and try as much as you like with the rest of your gear if at all possible! Good luck with it!

I can't claim any experience, but this video I found useful to better understand the differences between the different cab configurations (compares three Berg cabs, 2x15, 4x12 and 6x10 with the same amp):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTpxbYNhoo

try sticking an 118 sub under ur 810!!,but like others i like 215s they suit me,mean tiny tower of terror!!they fit on most small venue stages were u wouldnt get a 412 or a fridge on it, ive got 412 cab,not me!!,took 212s out and built a 212 cab to the ashdown dims,sounds ok but [i]just[/i]not enough i use it as practice amp,iv got a 118 that ting moves buildings but just not enough mids,i was watching myself on utoob the other day at a festival and back line was laney with an 810 cab,i wasnt that impressed with it...might try 212 and 115 combo...

Edited by thunderider

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll stick with my 8x10 until I find something that sounds better, I'm not holding my breath though. Unless I find myself struggling to get it in and out of venues (new band will probably play pubs more than clubs). Then I might go barefaced.