Why become a member? ×

2 pin plug to uk plug?

mrhectic

I just got my ashdown evo 500 rc through today from germany and it came with a two pin plug?!

can I buy one of those plugs that convert 2 pin plugs into 3 pin without causing the amp damage?

it says on the back 230v underneath the power button...

any help is appriciated! :)

Edited by mrhectic

If it's a "kettle lead" (IEC mains lead to be exact) then it would be much preferable to replace this with a UK one. If the lead is built in, then replace the 2 pin European plug with a UK one. Dismantle it or simply hack it off.

2 pin plugs are a little wobbly sitting in a travel adaptor. Not as bad as power adaptors, but it's just another potential point of failure.

Edited by neepheid

cheers. I'l head out to argos tommorrow and get one soon as!

erm, well its a lead you plug into the amp and the mains.

will there be a voltage problem at all? because i dont want to blow it or anything.

Edited by mrhectic

[quote name='mrhectic' post='199930' date='May 15 2008, 09:10 PM']cheers. I'l head out to argos tommorrow and get one soon as!

erm, well its a lead you plug into the amp and the mains.

will there be a voltage problem at all? because i dont want to blow it or anything.[/quote]

No, voltage is the same throughout the EU now.

Neepheid is right though, don't bother with a wobbly adaptor. Cut the wire and fit a UK plug. It won't invalidate the Thomann warranty, I promise ;-)

haha, well i think i might go to maplins tommorrow and look for the right kettle lead. I think it be easier then cutting it and replacing it with a 3 pin. :)

i'l take the one i got and show someone at maplins, so hopefully they'll point me to the correct one.

thanks for the reponse guys.

It might be worth checking whether what you have is just a two pin plug, or actually has three connections, in which case some adaptors would leave your gear unearthed.

First, check the spec plate on the amp. If it does not have a square within a square symbol, it is not double insulated, and needs to be earthed.

Secondly, look at the plug again. in addition to the two pins, does it have spring strips built into grooves in the sides? If so, those are the earth connections.

Thirdly, any gear sold into this country should come with the correct plug, so if you bought it from a retailer, you should be able to get the right cable and plug from them. If they tell you to get lost, talk to your local trading standards office.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='200347' date='May 16 2008, 12:26 PM']It might be worth checking whether what you have is just a two pin plug, or actually has three connections, in which case some adaptors would leave your gear unearthed.

First, check the spec plate on the amp. If it does not have a square within a square symbol, it is not double insulated, and needs to be earthed.[/quote]

It's a bass amp - it's not double-insulated. It *must* be earthed, and you're quite right to say check the plug!

[quote]Secondly, look at the plug again. in addition to the two pins, does it have spring strips built into grooves in the sides? If so, those are the earth connections.

Thirdly, any gear sold into this country should come with the correct plug, so if you bought it from a retailer, you should be able to get the right cable and plug from them. If they tell you to get lost, talk to your local trading standards office.[/quote]

I'm guessing it came from Thomann in Germany. I got a power amp from them and it came with a EU plug.

[quote name='bremen' post='200398' date='May 16 2008, 01:22 PM']It's a bass amp - it's not double-insulated. It *must* be earthed, and you're quite right to say check the plug![/quote]
Depending on how you mount the power transformer, and how you insulate the mains wiring inside, it is quite possible to build a double insulated amp. Some years ago, I saw some PA gear that was double insulated to avoid ground loops through the rack, which is why I suggested checking. Of course, if you know the specific item of gear, then that's a different story.

[quote name='bremen' post='200398' date='May 16 2008, 01:22 PM']I'm guessing it came from Thomann in Germany. I got a power amp from them and it came with a EU plug.[/quote]
As I understand the European law, the Low Voltage Directive basically says 'make it safe by following these standards', and the standards require a plug to be fitted that is suitable for the country in which it is to be used (not manufactured or sold).

So, if Thomann know they are shipping to the UK, they should include a UK power lead.

Any trading standards officers out there who can confirm this?

Edited by Mottlefeeder