Why become a member? ×

Finishing a Wenge Fretboard

Jabba_the_gut

There's a coincidence, I'm doing a build with a Wenge neck and fingerboard
It seems from what I can glean, that once you'repast the splintering and horrible dust phase, Wenge is quite forgiving in that it doesn't require a finish. Put one on if you like but it isn't essential, as it would be on, say maple for example
I think Warwick did some sort of aftercare kit for Wenge fingerboards but I've read mixed opinions on it's merits
I plan on leaving the neck and fingerboard bare on mine, either wire woolled with 0000 or 1500 paper, and varnishing the headstock and Wenge top set ( because the body wood is fairly soft )
As far as I'm aware Warmoth sell Wenge necks without their usual stern recommendation to apply a suitable finish so it's obviously quite oily and very robust
Good luck with your spraying, can't wait to see that spalted masterpiece put together
Regards
Harry

Cheers for that Harry - always nice to get replies from people on here who have tried already. I've also got some wenge for a neck and top for a future build so your reply is helpful towards that too. I've got a few wenge offcuts so I might try a little oil or wax just to see but it does look quite nice as it is (I think I sanded it with 1500 paper as you say). I've had another read through your 'Blingray' build which is looking lovely. Completely agree about the splinters!

I can't wait to get my bass finished too - I met up with Nugget last week as he's only 20 miles up the road from me and I took this bass with me but with no hardware fitted. Was really interesting having a chat with someone else building basses on here both to see what they have crafted and the way they approached it.

Cheers again

Jez

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1356803089' post='1913810']
Getting to the point of applying the finish to my scratch built bass. I'm using water based satin laquer for the body and neck but am not sure what to use on the wenge fretboard to give a nice finish.

Any suggestions for a nice natural finish?

Cheers

Jez
[/quote]

Hi Jez just found this thread - is this using the slab of elm by any chance? :)

Hi Steve,

Nope - this one is using a slab of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176477-scratch-built-bass-2/page__hl__scratch%20built"]swamp ash[/url] . I'm saving the elm for another project as it has a really nice grain. When I do start that I'll drop you details so you can see how it progresses.

Cheers again

Jez

Yea you wanna finish that. Wenge gets better/darker as you apply oil or wax. Oil will darken more. The reason for finishing is to prevent changes in humidity affecting the guitar. Ebony doesn't 'require' a finish but you would anyway. Wax it mate! Or spray with satin laquer if you want which is fine without grain fill.

Hmm. Yea. Vonax? Lemon oil wouldn't be a finish, more conditioner. Shoe polish is basically what is also termed as finishing wax. The natural kiwi stuff is fine or actual furniture finishing wax from your local hardware shop. It's all just a mix of bees wax and carnauba wax. Do not apply any oil previous to waxing, or indeed wax before oil. The warwick stuff is fine but like I say, it is only shoe polish with warwick sticker on the tin ;)