Why become a member? ×

Demo CD/DVD/USB

davehux

We are a 5 piece covers band who have built up a good reputation with 6-7 pubs in West Cornwall. Our New Year Resolution is to get some better paying gigs and move out of the 'small pub/small fee' places that we've been playing this year. We don't want to get into the wedding/corporate market, as it seems like a potential nightmare (from threads on here), even if it pays well.

We have a Facebook page with lots of photos and videos on it, but no website or YouTube pages. We've been told that the bigger places still want to listen to a CD or DVD of a band, rather than hunt them down on the web.

Is this still true in 2012/13?
Do bigger venues prefer a CD or a live DVD?
Do we produce a 'live' CD from one of our gigs, or pay for some studio time and record something professionally?
Anyone tried a branded USB stick with mp3 or mp4's on them?
Is a website and/or YouTube obligatory, rather than just FB?

Cheers

Hi Dave - hope you're still giving that Jazz some stick!

Just to help a little - for our covers band gigs, I tend to try to book on reputation - places I've played in previous bands, places the others have played....try to find out which venues are connected (there's a few around here that are). You can't be a bit of good old-fashioned bluster. I knew a musician who booked everything on simply approaching the landlords - no idea how!

I did try the web route for some places, but found that most would rather an 'instant' hit, like a CD they can play whenever.

Good web presence is essential - I try to do it all and see what sticks!

Hope this helps a little! :)

The more things you have to sell your wares the less objections the potential venue can throw up. For instance, "Yeah that CD sounds ok, but I want my punters to be able to see a website." And the reverse of that analogy, or mixture of the various media you refer to. My band is in the same boat at the moment, good FB presence but our website isn't very good (no music or vids yet) and have this excuse thrown back at us despite 2 of the members of the band knowing the managers really well. In short don't give them an easy excuse to turn you away.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1356619490' post='1911691']
Hi Dave - hope you're still giving that Jazz some stick!
[/quote]

Hi Iain - Yup - still loving it, despite our drummer complaining that it was 'just farting away in his ear' at the last rehearsal - he has my cab right next to him. Bless :lol:

Found some places on-line that will do a printed and duplicated CD for about 75p each for an order of 100. Anyone got any recommendations for people they've used?

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1356621106' post='1911707']

Anyone got any recommendations for people they've used?
[/quote]

We've used these [url="http://www.discwizards.com/"]http://www.discwizards.com/[/url] pretty good they were too. We did a digi pack, but get good artwork as theres no point in printing cd's if they look like they were created by playschool.