Why become a member? ×

Basschat comp 0.5 [Prototype]

Oscar South

Copied the first comp idea from musicianforums.com as it was one of the most interesting there when they ran competitions and it gets peoples imagination going rather than just leaving them looking for ideas.

The rules of entry are simple, just compose and record a piece of music of any length containing a notable bass guitar part (whether you choose just to use an interesting bassline, bass in the lead or as a textural instrument is up to you) based on one of these 4 images, I've gone for a Greek Elemental theme:

Earth:

Water:

Fire:

Air:

Other than these themes and a notable bass part there are no rule really, feel free to experiment with whatever forms and instrumentation you like.

I'm going to set the final entry date as June 1st but I'll push it back by one or two weeks if people need more time, its flexible this time as this is just a test run really and I'm not sure how long people will need. Submit entries in this thread.

After the final entry deadline I'll collect all the pieces up and create a new thread for voting and feedback.

Edited by Oscar South

I'll admit I was skeptical of the idea of a BC competition, as I've seen some on other forums and it all a bit of a w*** fest really. But this sounds more like my cup of tea. Hopefully I can get something down.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='199919' date='May 15 2008, 08:59 PM']Just to check, we are allowed to use other musicians to do the non-bass parts, right? Anddd is it okaeey if we want to make more than one entry? I doubt I'll want to enter loads (probably one for Earth and one for Fire)[/quote]

Theres no way of stopping anyone having someone else recording non bass parts so its allowed, I don't want to go down the route of everyone just uploading a track their band recorded one time though so I'd say to try and keep the music as a piece as personal and/or relevant to the theme as possible.

You're welcome to submit as many entries as you want, depending on how many total entries there are it'll be judged either piece by piece or user by user (if its user by user I'd recommend picking your best piece and labeling that as so otherwise people might just listen to a lesser piece and vote based on that though). If you go to the effort of making two pieces though I think you've earned the competitive advantage that buys you and I'll definitely listen to them all at least.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='200061' date='May 16 2008, 12:07 AM']My concept of earth is a state of fragile serenity, its completely calm but threatening to explode with irresistible power at any time.[/quote]

I used a very similar line on a girl a couple of nights ago. The only difference being I was talking about my penis. Needless to say if it had been successful I wouldn't be submitting a widdly w***fest. :huh:

I think we should have as many entries in each category as possible (ie. each Element). If someone did want to do a suite, that would be awesome - so long as Earth, Wind and Fire's legal team don't see this... :)

I've started on an idea for Fire and I've got a couple of concepts in mind for Water and possibly Earth. Air might be tricky but I'd like to have a go. If I submit the video for [i]Sexy Boy[/i], please disqualify me.

EDIT: Could I suggest a separate thread for people to submit their entries in and then a third thread for votes/critique?

Maybe people could give some brief information about each of their entries, such as how long it took, what instruments are on it, how it was recorded, what the concept behind it was, whether any kind of clever techniques were used and why.

This could actually turn into something constructive - kind of like a songwriters'/composers' collective.

Edited by The Funk

Yeah I like those ideas, part of the judging criteria is going to be how closely it relates to the image so all info given by the composer to show how they made that link is going to give them a better chance, I'll post their descriptions in the voting threads with their entries.

I don't really want to start too many threads about this, already been 3, I'm ok just combing through this thread to find all the entries, I'll definitely start a new one for the voting/feedback though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry... i tried and ended up writing new riffs for my band instead. So thanks for the inspiration but they veared so far away from what i saw that it was silly. However... more pictures now need to be viewed for more inspiration. Off to deviantart I GO!