Why become a member? ×

Picking up a bass from USA

Jobiebass

morning campers.

Going to visit my ex GF in Atlanta next month, gonna go pick up a bongo or something while im out there as they are cheep as chips in the states.

Now...

Do I take the neck off and pack it in my case? - but what happens if I get a Musicman case thrown in for free? be a shame to turn down a £120 case.

Do I take it on the plane with me, just say its an extra bag? - but if I didnt take it out with me then they know I got it over there and they will tax my ass.

Do I Take a crappy case with me on the plane, then swap the crappy case for the bongo w/case and pretend its the same bass?

slightly different scenario but,
i bought a MM sterling from the states in early December last year.My sister who lives in San-Diego was due to fly home for a xmas visit.I had the bass sent to hers and Bro in-law brought it over as 1 of the 2 bags your allowed each.No duty or Vat,happy days.
it might be different if you're a UK citizen though but i'd say that the bass will be fine in its case.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='199284' date='May 15 2008, 08:38 AM']morning campers.

Going to visit my ex GF in Atlanta next month, gonna go pick up a bongo or something while im out there as they are cheep as chips in the states.

Now...

Do I take the neck off and pack it in my case? - but what happens if I get a Musicman case thrown in for free? be a shame to turn down a £120 case.

Do I take it on the plane with me, just say its an extra bag? - but if I didnt take it out with me then they know I got it over there and they will tax my ass.

Do I Take a crappy case with me on the plane, then swap the crappy case for the bongo w/case and pretend its the same bass?[/quote]

Either way you might get stung for VAT and duty, or you might not. It'll probably still be cheaper than buying one here even if you do pay up. Good luck, whatever you choose.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='199284' date='May 15 2008, 08:38 AM']Do I Take a crappy case with me on the plane, then swap the crappy case for the bongo w/case and pretend its the same bass?[/quote]

That worked for me, with one slight difference. Well, not me - my then guitarist went to Vegas for the weekend. He and a mate took my old battered bass case and his own old battered guitar case. He bought my Tune TWB53FM from SamAsh, along with a tasty Ibanez Prestige guitar for himself.

He left the beautiful fitted Ibanez case with SamAsh and put his new Ibanez in his old case for homeward-bound travel. Shame, but a shiny new case would have screamed "ME! ME!" to the customs guys on return through the airport.

He looks like a scruffy long-haired muso (probly cos he is...), so I guess the profile fit - scruffy muso guys with scruffy guitar cases.

Proof of purchase? Who'd be dumb enough to transport their prized bass posession in a case ALONG WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP?! Of course it's immaculate - I love it, I take care of it, I only use it in the studio - my gigging bass isn't in such good shape. I use this old case so no-one thinks it's worth stealing.

Mark

I bought a Euphonic head back as hand luggage & sailed through customs both ends. obviously a bit different from a bass of course!

I have a lot of experience of shipping expensive bike parts over from the USA but, again, these are probably more robust than any guitar. I'll PM you with some thoughts :)

I don't know what the latest import duty on guitars is. If you declare anything then you have to pay both import duty and VAT usually.