Why become a member? ×

Why so much power?

thinman

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='201657' date='May 18 2008, 07:00 PM']I'm all for manageable stage volume, but the thought of backline consisting entirely of DIs into PODs makes by blood run cold...[/quote]

Yeah I kinda feel the same, and I'm not sure why. Also running that amount of bass as well as everything elsethrough the monitors adds a lot of strain to the PA, a lot of smaller and mid sized gigs, there will usually be very little if any bass going through the monitors.

[quote]And finally... our backline looks awesome and geeks love it.[/quote]

I believe this may be one of the main reasons :)

On one side of the stage we have a Blue Skinned Vox AC30 (30 watts & very loud) & the other there's a Fender Deluxe combo with my MB combo in the middle next to the drummer (poor sod!) & it looks & sounds fantastic. If you put everything into the pa with pods etc, do you think you'll get that same sound?

The other reason we need so much power is some places just won't take or have PA & in a busy venue you need the volume to cut over people talking. Once they've shut up, you can turn it down a bit :huh:

More wattage does not always mean more of volume.

All that maters is that you is you can get the tone you want at the volume required.

Remember In larger venues most people go through the PA.

As a live sound engineer for many years, one of my pet hates is loud musician who will not turn down.
Also it is not clever to blast audience’s ears out.
I have had the same argument with many a musician.
“I can’t turn down, I will lose my sound’ or “my amp will sounds sh+t any lower”
IMHO
The band overall sound of the band is more important then the sound individual instrument.

When I worked as a bass player, I found the more I gigged the smaller my gear got.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='201720' date='May 18 2008, 08:06 PM']Can anyone explain (or point me at a thread) how Geddy Lee does the 'in ear' monitoring thing?[/quote]

[quote name='bnt' post='201874' date='May 19 2008, 12:13 AM']Have a look [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/northern-warrior/Aug-07/30528"]here[/url], the sidebar has a full breakdown of his current touring rig. The main components are the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rpm.html"]SansAmp RPM[/url] and Palmer Speaker Simulators. Weirdly, Geddy still has a couple of Trace Elliot amps in his rack though I have no idea where that signal might go. They all use wireless monitoring, handled from a monitor desk - dunno what they use.[/quote]

Geddy's own bass tech, Russ Ryan, has posted loads about Geddy's set up [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393208"]here[/url]. It covers the Trace Elliot amps and [i]I think [/i]there's mention of his in-ears but don't quote me. Just make a cup of tea, set aside an hour or two and wade through the tons of posts :)

In my case i use a 500watts rig so i can be heard out front with a tone that i like.
We only have a vocal PA so its up to me to make sure the bass comes across cleanly.
In a large room with a stage even my SA450/UL212 can struggle if the stage or room is eating up all the low end.
I could probably drown my drummer out but not with a nice tone. I find anything over half way on my MB heads and that's it, compression starts to kick in.
Of course smaller rooms need less volume (although not always) but im sometimes amazed at how little the bass is coming through at some gigs.

I started with a Ashdown EB180 C-115 and for almost a year i thought it was loud enough. It was only when i got a radio system and walked out front at sound check did i realise how under powered i was.

[quote name='bnt' post='201874' date='May 19 2008, 12:13 AM']Have a look [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/northern-warrior/Aug-07/30528"]here[/url], the sidebar has a full breakdown of his current touring rig. The main components are the [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/rpm.html"]SansAmp RPM[/url] and Palmer Speaker Simulators. Weirdly, Geddy still has a couple of Trace Elliot amps in his rack though I have no idea where that signal might go. They all use wireless monitoring, handled from a monitor desk - dunno what they use.[/quote]
Thank you.

[quote name='NJW' post='201654' date='May 18 2008, 05:51 PM']I use my 300W of all tube power for flexibility reasons.

First of all, many of the venues I play at provide me with only a single 12" or 15" monitor. We try to run as little through these as possible across the board but I tend to like mine to contain a little kick (if 15"), perhaps a bit of far side guitar and lots of vocal. When I start pushing bass through the monitor, I lose clarity in other areas. With a 6x10 and 300w amp behind me I have plenty of power.

Also... there is nothing that can replace the vibe and 'feel' of having 3 tube amps (2 guitar, 1 bass) on stage. We are NEVER too loud for our engineer and are very careful about stage volume.

We also end up sometimes playing vocal PA only shows, where I really really need my amp and could not live without it.

And finally... our backline looks awesome and geeks love it.

...when it comes to the day where I have to carry it about by myself, I may have to reconsider.[/quote]

+1

Well I use either 100w OR 300w of all tube beauty into a NV610, but MOSTLY the 100w WILL do the job. I too HATE havin me bass thru my monitor- I like it comin outta me rig!!! Monitors usually sound pretty tinny IMHO-& I've used plenty different makes........
So I agree- 300w is heaps!
Cheers