Why become a member? ×

BBE Sonic Maximizer?

lastnotleast

Searched but did not find any threads or posts about the BBE Sonic Maximizer. I use a DI-100 I found used on eBay for $40.00.
The discussions I've seen seem split right down the middle with folks like me who swear by it and thoise who view it as a hoax.
My thinking is that the naysayers (typical of many such things) do not understand how nor believe that it works.

I have the Di100 and use it with great effect. It does change the overall sound for the better, gives it a tighter sound that projects better.
The two knobs are really just bass and treble controls but they do work and the di is great too.
I use it for live shows as my amp does not have a di.

My understanding is that it delays the low frequencies to align them in real time with high frequencies so as to arrive at the speaker/ear at the same time.
I stumbled across an offhand reference to it in a discussion about something otherwise unrelated. Having never heard of it before, I began to investigate.
As indicated, the reviews were highly polarized but, for $40.00 US, it was worth a try. Now I am a true believer.

My Acoustic B200H has a DI out but using the DI-100 sends the corrected signal out to the board. I believe it is best used through the effects loop.

I had a series 1 (or maybe 2) BBE sonic maximiser and also happened upon the schematic diagram and service manual for it. Interestingly, it appears in that model most of the processing happened way up in the upper mids and treble frequencies that were lost on anyone who wasn't using a decent mid range/ tweeter in their gear. The low process knob was actually just a bass boost (as you'd find on any amp) centred at 50Hz. I only used mine as a 'post preamp, post effects loop' EQ and thus became redundant when I got a decent amp. I can't comment on the newer units and whether or not they have been improved, but I don't think the older models really make a noticeable difference, other than EQ on anything other than a decent full range system.

You are right dood, the "BBE effect" happens in the high and mid frequencies.
I find in gives the mids a little more clarity and adds more top end and you are right about the bass control, it's just a 50hz boost.

It's a subtle " effect " if you use the tone controls flat, but the delay process does something to give a subtle improvement in tone.

The di 100 does make a great active di with tone controls though.

Info here... http://www.bbesound.com/products/manuals/di-100_manual.pdf

I've found that in low/mid priced amp systems the BBE Sonic Maximisers can give a nice lift to the sound (to the point where not using it makes the amp sound shyte), whether this is due to the bass boost/general EQ or the realigning of frequencies is probably moot. When you use the BBE with better quality amps then you still get that EQ lift but I've found that I can happily live without the effect.

Interestingly I have a BBE Acoustic Preamp pedal which I've used with acoustic guitars and it does a cracking job with those instruments; at times I've used it as a preamp pedal for my bass and gone straight into the PA (rehearsals are a breeze) and it stays in my gigbag for an emergency unit.

I believe your comments regarding use with low/mid priced amp systems may be spot on. My Acoustic B200H & (2) B115's were puchased on the cheap at $300.00 US.
My plan is to someday be able to afford a higher end kit and keep the DI-100 in case for whatever reason I may need an alternate direct box to the board.

I have the rack mount series two. I used to use it in my live rig, but now I use it as an outboard for recording. Great piece of kit. I use mine mostly for mixing drums, percussion, bass guitar and piano once in a while. Never really found a use for it with vocals though. Very useful studio tool when I am pushed for time mixing down lively instruments.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1355926959' post='1904569']
My understanding is that it delays the low frequencies to align them in real time with high frequencies so as to arrive at the speaker/ear at the same time.
I stumbled across an offhand reference to it in a discussion about something otherwise unrelated. Having never heard of it before, I began to investigate.
As indicated, the reviews were highly polarized but, for $40.00 US, it was worth a try. Now I am a true believer.

My Acoustic B200H has a DI out but using the DI-100 sends the corrected signal out to the board. I believe it is best used through the effects loop.
[/quote]

+1 :)

Picked mine up late last year for £40 odd quid - and yes, best used in an effects loop: after the pre-amp and last in effects chain; before the amp stage..
Just checked the spec sheet and quite surprised that the current stomp box incarnation only has a current draw of 7.7mA (!)

http://hosted.proaal.com/pdf/bbe/SONIC-STOMP_Manual.pdf