Why become a member? ×

Hearing test

dmccombe7

very loud music:

Does it help to play with ones mouth open all the time....similar to dealing with explosions on a regular basis..

..this may go some way explain some of the 'bassface' I've seen?

On a more serious note, hearing loss thru loud music etc is similar to smoking, gradual deterioration, never gona happen to me

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1355917906' post='1904369']
very loud music:

Does it help to play with ones mouth open all the time....similar to dealing with explosions on a regular basis..

..this may go some way explain some of the 'bassface' I've seen?

On a more serious note, hearing loss thru loud music etc is similar to smoking, gradual deterioration, never gona happen to me
[/quote]

Yea its the gradual deterioration, never gonna happen to me scenario that contributes to the issue. Yet when you suddenly become aware of hearing loss/ tinnitus its no laughing matter.

Maybe keeping one's mouth opens helps ;)

Edited by leroydiamond

I have bi-annual hearing tests at my work and last year my hearing was down in my left ear, it wasn’t bad but enough to show up, I don't rehearse near our drummer but my trace is on a chair. That’s it the doc says, but 6 months on and my next test was done by another doc and both ears were the same. After thinking about it, it turns out that I had gone to see Tesseract in a small Glasgow club the day before that test. I do remember thinking it was probably the loudest gig ever and it had sort of temporarily dulled my hearing.

Questions for those with hearing issues.....was it Peter Cook who said "For those hard of hearing...LISTEN!" ;)

1/ Really, this is directed for those whom have played music for years AND had a 'proper' hearing test, by proper I mean an acoustic booth with headphones thru which varying frequencies at varying volumes are sent to your ears radomly, with the hand operated 'tit' to let the operator know when one can't hear anything.

You end up with a schematic print out.

[i][b]So, is your hearing 'down' on all frequenices? A sort of hole in your hearing ability or plain dead to all?[/b][/i]

I had a full medical every 3 months when I used to test research engines for Lucas, we always used ear defenders as we had to enter a test cell (or cold room) with an engine diesel running flat out/full load, Lucas were very good even back in the eighties, regarding heath issues with engineers's such as these. .we had hearing tests as part of this medical.

2/ My 'missing' frequency occured only over a 3 year period of irregular Karting and shooting, both of which would be nothing compared to as say a gigging bassist...but I used to be a real jazz funker, out 4 nights a week, did the weekenders and suchlike and I can remember my ears ringing all the next day....with Karting I didn't notice it, more a dull headache.

...I would suspect that niteclubs must have regs regarding sound levels and stuff but how would you police such a thing, depends where the punter is in relation to a speaker wouldn't it? And that would apply to gigs and things wouldn't it...?

Deafness does run in my family though, my wife is always saying how loud the tv is when she gets in and I'm sat there watching it.

Edited by iconic

Luckily enough it is not sufficient for me to worry about too much and i don't have tinnitus issue.
I do take extra care at work and always have done even before it was company policy.
For some unknown reason i didn't ever see loud music as a problem ???
Don't ask - i guess i've grown up being naive and stupid enough to think "it won't happen to me" same as lot of people from my generation of 70's rock era.
I am not 100% sure it was the loud music but evidence does tend to point to it.

I think any ear protection is better than none and i shall be more careful in future.
I reckon i will look into the custom moulded ear plugs as i could use them for bike rides too. Motorbikes can be noisy too.

Will check these out but someone mentioned ACS - i guess they are a reputable manufacturer worth a look then ???

Dave

I use a pair of ER20s when at gigs (which is a rare occurrence these days).

They seem to work fine for me. I have moderate tinnitus - not something I notice every waking hour, but certainly noticeable in quiet conditions (or when I remind myself of having it - like now!). The ER20s certainly do the job of preventing any additional ringing in my ears after gigs - that's not saying they're equivalent to moulded plugs, just that they seem to do the job for me.

Otherwise, my ears are generally 'ok'. I can't hear much above 14kHz, but I've never found this to be a big issue when mixing, etc.