Why become a member? ×

The point of it all.....

Bilbo

Good job Bilbo! Nice to hear a story that genuinely warms the cockles at this time of year :)

Goes to show what can be done with enough dedication and practice. I'd love to be able to play an impromptu gig like that one day. Although I have probably 9000 hours or so of practice to catch up on first... best look busy.

Excellent story and what music is all about - playing for the sheer pleasure and spreading the joy.

A similar thing happened to me some time ago, but with slightly less good fortune:

A reggae band was playing a local venue and their bassist couldn't make it last minute.
I got the call to fill in and turned up as requested.
The guitarist also didn't show, so it was just bass, drums and keys.
All went well for a few songs and then their dep guitarist turned up......... pissed as a fart and tripping on LSD.
He stumbled on stage and set up directly in front of me - he was actually standing on my toes!
For the rest of the gig he played loud, tuneless heavy metal guitar all over the sweet roots riddims and completely ruined the night.
Furthermore, he had bad wind and continually farted, so I was gagging by the time I left the stage in shame.

Didn't get paid either.

Hope you don't mind the hi jack Bilbo - just thought I'd inject a bit of balance :)

PS:
I played the Ashbory and plugged into the PA so at least I could make a quick get away.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1356184500' post='1907725']...their dep guitarist turned up......... pissed as a fart and tripping on LSD.
He stumbled on stage and set up directly in front of me - he was actually standing on my toes!
For the rest of the gig he played loud, tuneless heavy metal guitar all over the sweet roots riddims and completely ruined the night.
Furthermore, he had bad wind and continually farted, so I was gagging by the time I left the stage in shame.

Didn't get paid either...[/quote]

[quote]...Just reward for years of hard work and study...[/quote] :rolleyes:

There's 'balance', all right..! Thanks for sharing... B)

...and well done, Bilbo; nice to hear it sometimes works out. :)