Why become a member? ×

Modes

Tait

Ok, quick question!

Is there a name for the tonic on the ionian mode? So for example, lets say we're playing the major scale modes, and I'm playing D-Dorian, or E-Phrygian, or F-Lydian etc. Is there a specific name for the C? I asked my brother who's a Music student, and he said as far as he was aware there wasn't, but I figured no harm in asking here as well!

Thanks!

[quote name='Tait' timestamp='1355058666' post='1893413']
Is there a name for the tonic on the ionian mode? So for example, lets say we're playing the major scale modes, and I'm playing D-Dorian, or E-Phrygian, or F-Lydian etc. Is there a specific name for the C?
[/quote]

I'm slightly confused at what you're asking to be honest. Do you mean what is the name for the C note within
any of those specific modes?
If so,not really. In D Dorian the C will be the supertonic of that scale. In E Phrygian,C will be the submediant of
that scale etc.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355067162' post='1893565']
I'm slightly confused at what you're asking to be honest. Do you mean what is the name for the C note within
any of those specific modes?
If so,not really. In D Dorian the C will be the supertonic of that scale. In E Phrygian,C will be the submediant of
that scale etc.
[/quote]

Yes, this is what I was asking. Whether there was a general name for the C in all of these scales, but clearly the answer is no! Thanks.

I suppose if you are looking at everything as being in key,diatonically,then you could look at C
as always being the tonic chord (which it would be),but if you're viewing them as scales then
the note won't have a set name-it will depend on it's position in the scale...so it would be-
I- Tonic
II- Supertonic
III- Mediant
IV-Subdominant
V- Dominant
VI- Submediant
VII -Subtonic

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355081507' post='1893841']
I suppose if you are looking at everything as being in key,diatonically,then you could look at C
as always being the tonic chord (which it would be),but if you're viewing them as scales then
the note won't have a set name-it will depend on it's position in the scale...so it would be-
I- Tonic
II- Supertonic
III- Mediant
IV-Subdominant
V- Dominant
VI- Submediant
VII -Subtonic
[/quote]

god its been a long time since I've seen those terms!