Why become a member? ×

Joyo American Sound

Ancient Mariner

I thought it was worth separating this from the Mooer pedals thread.

I my last order to WTF accessories I ordered 3 of the Tech 21 clones: American sound, British sound & California sound - the counterpaerts (more or less) of the Blonde, British and [s]US metal [/s]California pedals. I want these for recording guitar, and having given them a quick try, I think they'll be good for that, but the American sound pedal also has a sweet fatness that made me wonder if it would work for bass, run in front of the amp.

Well, the answer is that - to my ears at least - it works brilliantly. With the voice knob at 9 o'clock, max level and gain adjusted for unity, bass & mids 12 o'clock, treble at 11 it changes my rather thin and clangy Jazz into something huge and fat, with a beautiful smoothness. The tone controls are very powerful, and with small tweaks I could vary the sound a lot. There's also a lot of drive available, although it gets a bit thin and buzzy to my ears, although it does get a little synthy.

Thomann have these at about £25 too. Worth a try I reckon.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

+1 for the American Sound pedal. I've found this to be my most satisfying overdrive pedal. I've previously owned an EBS MultiDrive, Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver and Leeds pedals, a Wren&Cuff Phat Phuk B, an Ashdown LoMenzo HyperDrive and a few others that I can't remember right now. The £25 American Sound shouldn't be as good as it is, but it is.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1355088372' post='1893940']
It'll presumably be these: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_american_truetone.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...an_truetone.htm[/url]
[/quote]

That is indeed Neo (the one).

I half wish I'd bought the ACtone too, and have the set, but I've read very mixed reports of both the Joyo/HB and Tech 21 versions and despite owning a Vox AC30 I'm not a fan of the sound these days (gets used on EVERYTHING now).