Why become a member? ×

New ACG on the way from Moffat in the snow

GreeneKing

And Alan of ACG fame (or notoriety :) ) is in fine form.

Well, I have my headless Salace 5. A bass with a special connection that's going no-where. I do play her but wouldn't gig her. Out of home I'm exclusively using my ACG J5 but truth be known I would like to be exclusively using a 'full fat' Custom ACG. Not that the J isn't a great bass but .....

So off I trotted to Moffat this Morning (it's less than 2 hrs away) with ideas in my head. Ideas that are generated by my 1990 NT Warwick Thumb in terms of woods, a dark and stiff one, and by the new developments at Cringeon Towers. I had Moth like pretensions but practical realities moved me in another direction.

After going through the permutations I'm going for:

Finn 5 string, double cut, headed with 18mm string spacing.
Set 7 piece neck of wenge and bubinga, wenge outside.
Body a bubinga/wenge/bubinga sandwich.
34" scale with a wenge fretboard, bubinga headstock facing
Black hardware, ACG03 pre-amp and a 10 coil ACG MC5 pickup at the bridge with a same sized humbucker at the neck (allowing an upgrade to two MC5's later if so desired - I suspect it will be).
Luminay and a low battery light on the front.

The bass will be no lightweight but I'm fine with that. It will also be waxed like a Warwick.
Something tells me that it will be a monster :)

I really think that the ACG03 has developed very well from the original ACG01. The mid boosts are 'intelligent' and in two global ranges with selectable frequencies for each. Very well thought out and implemented.

The bubinga for the front has a lovely patterned finish while the rear will be slightly plainer to emphasise the front.

What more can I say other than that seeing Alan all these years down the line and speccing my 4th custom ACG is as much a pleasure as ever.

Pedro

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1354640521' post='1888574']
Black hardware, ACG03 pre-amp and a 10 coil ACG MC5 pickup at the bridge with a same sized humbucker at the neck (allowing an upgrade to two MC5's later if so desired - I suspect it will be).

[/quote] you know you will... just go for it!

(baring in mind I don't have a clue how much more they cost!)

Edited by LukeFRC

• 2 months later...