Why become a member? ×

String brightness

Jobiebass

Ive tried a fair few Rotos in my time and I dont like any of them,
I have Elixers on my fretted and I LOVE them to bits, I wouldnt have anything but elixers now on a fretted bass.. BUT

I need some strings for a fretless, Although I love elixers im pretty sure they dont do flats, and im pretty sure the rounds would cut into my new fretboard pretty fast,

I really dont like the sound Rotos gave my Fretless J, Pretty much tried all the roto flats, think the last set were the "swing" or "jazz" I found it was very dull and really not what I wanted out of it, althou these new strings are going on my Fretless P.

Could someone recomend some strings that are going to be really bright, but also not wreck my fingers or fretboard.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='197754' date='May 13 2008, 09:59 AM']Ive tried a fair few Rotos in my time and I dont like any of them,
I have Elixers on my fretted and I LOVE them to bits, I wouldnt have anything but elixers now on a fretted bass.. BUT

I need some strings for a fretless, Although I love elixers im pretty sure they dont do flats, and im pretty sure the rounds would cut into my new fretboard pretty fast,

I really dont like the sound Rotos gave my Fretless J, Pretty much tried all the roto flats, think the last set were the "swing" or "jazz" I found it was very dull and really not what I wanted out of it, althou these new strings are going on my Fretless P.

Could someone recomend some strings that are going to be really bright, but also not wreck my fingers or fretboard.[/quote]
I had D'Addario Chrome flats on my fretless Jazz (which I just sold :) ). I tried Roto flats and didn't like them much. The chromes are much nicer IMO.

The Status black plastics are superb on fretless, and won't even tickle your board...and as always Thomastik flats are a great sound.

What's the fingerboard? Ebony stands up pretty well to nickel rounds (DR Sunbeams - pricey but great), but with a rosewood board I'd go for flats or plastic coated.

BB

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='197895' date='May 13 2008, 12:42 PM']Have a look on the basschat wiki[/quote]

I had a look but couldnt find what I was looking for.

Its an ebony board but its one of those man made ones that are supposedly harder, supposedly. Mighty Mite fretless P neck I have for it.

Id prefer flats cause I love the feel of them, apart from Rotoflats. My Jazz initially came with some awesome flats, mint green ends with a gold ball, other side didnt have a colour. If I knew what they were id get some of those for my P.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='197925' date='May 13 2008, 01:08 PM']Id prefer flats cause I love the feel of them, apart from Rotoflats. My Jazz initially came with some awesome flats, mint green ends with a gold ball, other side didnt have a colour. If I knew what they were id get some of those for my P.[/quote]

I found Rotosound flats to be pretty shoddy too - I may have just got a set from a bad batch, but they sounded crap and felt really horrible to play. Put me off Rotosound for life!

[quote name='geilerbass' post='197931' date='May 13 2008, 01:15 PM']I found Rotosound flats to be pretty shoddy too - I may have just got a set from a bad batch, but they sounded crap and felt really horrible to play. Put me off Rotosound for life![/quote]

+1

i had a set of(well apart from the g-string)Thomastik jazz flats lying around.i took BB's advice and fitted them on my P and i like the results a lot more on that bass than i did on my jazz.My P had d'addario flats on,i like those too but to me TI's are a little sweeter/brighter sounding.Ive ordered the "g" today from strings direct.

edit,
after a bit more time with them im really impressed with the Thomastiks.They've opened the midrange a treat,its more growly than with the d'addarios and the bass notes are richer and more rounded.Slap tone is really good and very punchy as well.

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='197754' date='May 13 2008, 09:59 AM']Ive tried a fair few Rotos in my time and I dont like any of them,

Could someone recomend some strings that are going to be really bright, but also not wreck my fingers or fretboard.[/quote]

Roundwounds will give more Mwahh sound than flats, flats will make your fretless sound like an upright.

Your fretboard should be fine, just adjust your vibrato technique, roll your finger up and down the string slightly, rather than bending the string.