Why become a member? ×

Can't Upload Pics Any More

Rumple

All has been fine for me (although I'd seen many people say they can't upload pictures) until the other day now I can't upload any photos, not even to change my avatar, I've deleted some of my old images and have plenty of space left on Basschat, has something changed with the site?

I use Firefox but tried IE to without any success.

Any thoughts?

As should have been explained in all the other threads dealing with the photo upload problem, since the recent hack, some of the site functionality has not yet been restored. Using the Basschat photo uploader is one of them.

For Photos in your posts the best option is to use an image host like Photobucket. IMO this is the best way to display images in posts anyway because firstly they display at decent size without requiring any user interaction, and secondly they don't take up any of Basschat's server space or bandwidth. Win all round.

Regarding avatars, have you tried loading from a URL as well as uploading from your computer? If neither of these work then it appears to be possible to use a service called [url=http://en.gravatar.com]Gravatar[/url] to host your avatar. There are certainly some new users who have joined recently who have custom avatars, so of none of the methods outlined above work, it might be worth sending one of them a PM and ask how they managed it.

To the Mods. In light of the number of new threads that seem to have been started, would it not be worth making a single sticky post (which cannot have new posts added to it) listing all the forum functions that are currently unavailable - such as the photo uploader, missing last post and other icons, tag search etc. That way anyone with a problem can check there first to see it's a know issue. The post can be updated as stuff is fixed or new things come to light.

What do you think?

Don't worry about asking the question. One of the issues IMO with the recent hack has been the lack of updates as to what is happening with this site that we all love, and has resulted in people asking the same question over. I understand that there have been both financial and time related issues with getting everything back up and running, but I still think that it doesn't take much to keep the users informed of the status of fixes and updates - just a bit of organisation.

BTW you've obviously managed to fix your avatar - which method worked for you? so that others in the same position can benefit from your experience.

As you suggested I used Gravatar which didn't seem to work at first as it only put their logo up not my avatar but after about 5 minutes it was ok so thanks for that.

Oddly this thread seems to be jumping about and being repeated, I posted it in 'General Discussion' but it now seems to be in both 'site news' and 'introductions' :s

• 1 month later...

I also can't change my avatar, I can link to pics in threads as I use flickr but even the url link for avatar changes isn't working, it also screwed up my old avatar so I'm avatar-less just now...not a major problem but I did rather like my old one :blush:

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1357316857' post='1920949']
I also can't change my avatar, I can link to pics in threads as I use flickr but even the url link for avatar changes isn't working, it also screwed up my old avatar so I'm avatar-less just now...not a major problem but I did rather like my old one :blush:
[/quote]

Have you tried Gravatar as suggested in my post above?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357316918' post='1920951']
Have you tried Gravatar as suggested in my post above?
[/quote]

yep...in the intervening 7 minutes between my 2 posts when I was signing up for gravatar, faffing linking pictures and then updating misself on here :blush: