Why become a member? ×

Which Neodymium Speakers?

Charla

I have an Ampeg SVT 410HE and I'm thinking of replacing the speakers with Neodymium Drivers. Ampeg suggest Eminence speakers, but there's a choice of 4 choices; Deltalite II 2510 250W 10"; Basslite S2010 10"; Basslite CA2010; Basslite CH2010 10"?

If I'm going to spend over £200 on speakers I want to make sure I get the right ones!!

Cheers

Charla

[quote name='Charla' post='197320' date='May 12 2008, 05:15 PM']I have an Ampeg SVT 410HE and I'm thinking of replacing the speakers with Neodymium Drivers. Ampeg suggest Eminence speakers, but there's a choice of 4 choices; Deltalite II 2510 250W 10"; Basslite S2010 10"; Basslite CA2010; Basslite CH2010 10"?

If I'm going to spend over £200 on speakers I want to make sure I get the right ones!!

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

Is the cabinet sealed or ported? If it's sealed and you can measure the internal volume I can model them in WinISD and see which look most likely.

Alexclaber might be able to help.

[quote name='Charla' post='197320' date='May 12 2008, 05:15 PM']I have an Ampeg SVT 410HE and I'm thinking of replacing the speakers with Neodymium Drivers. Ampeg suggest Eminence speakers, but there's a choice of 4 choices; Deltalite II 2510 250W 10"; Basslite S2010 10"; Basslite CA2010; Basslite CH2010 10"?

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

You've no idea how this might affect the tone! I doubt very much whether it'd sound like your old cab but lighter in weight. Not saying it will be worse but it will almost certainly sound different.

You 'might' be better off selling the Ampeg and buying a Neo equipped cab, at least you'll be able to try before you buy :)

Just my thoughts.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='197329' date='May 12 2008, 05:21 PM']You've no idea how this might affect the tone! I doubt very much whether it'd sound like your old cab but lighter in weight. Not saying it will be worse but it will almost certainly sound different.

You 'might' be better off selling the Ampeg and buying a Neo equipped cab, at least you'll be able to try before you buy :)

Just my thoughts.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='197329' date='May 12 2008, 05:21 PM']....You 'might' be better off selling the Ampeg and buying a Neo equipped cab, at least you'll be able to try before you buy....[/quote]
That's the best advice you're going to get.

The Ampeg and an ABM 1 x 15 are posted in the Amp & Cabs threads, not a sniff, which is why I was thinking of modding the Ampeg. I was looking to buy one of the Epifani UL310's that were for sale on this site with the proceeds, they've gone now! It's a dilemma as i want something light weight but can't afford to have 4 cabs lying around the house!

Thanks for the advice, I'll think long and hard before making a decision.

Cheers

Charla

I wouldn't try to replace drivers in the Ampeg cab either - chances are the tone will be very different to what you have now.
Bear in mind that you also might not be saving a more than 20lb or so even if you go to a NEO cab - depends on which brand. Maybe also consider 2 cabs instead of one if you're going to change.

[quote name='Charla' post='197402' date='May 12 2008, 07:12 PM']The Ampeg and an ABM 1 x 15 are posted in the Amp & Cabs threads, not a sniff, which is why I was thinking of modding the Ampeg. I was looking to buy one of the Epifani UL310's that were for sale on this site with the proceeds, they've gone now! It's a dilemma as i want something light weight but can't afford to have 4 cabs lying around the house!

Thanks for the advice, I'll think long and hard before making a decision.

Cheers

Charla[/quote]

I'm not saying it wouldn't work... happy accidents happen! Problem is when you come to sell your modded cab it'd 'probably' be worth about the same as a standard cab. Saying that you 'might' recoup some money by selling your standard Ampeg drivers. Never an easy call but I'd still say selling your cabs as is (even at a reduced price) and buying something built and designed around a driver will still be the most cost effective.