Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Input Gain

Paul70bass

Hi

I have a Trace Elliot AH500-7 bass head and 2 x 10 + 1 x15 cabs, I'm currently playing a passive Fender Jazz bass, strung with medium gauge strings, through this set-up.

The problem I have is that I set the input gain as per the instruction manual and find that it's peaking with the input gain at less than 1, I've read that normally it should be between 5 and 8. I've set the pick-ups low to try an compensate but this hasn't helped.

Any ideas
Paul

Strange issue, if it was an active bass i would guess that you could be linking on the passive input but with a passive bass that shouldn't happen. I'm with Lozz, are you using any extreme EQ settings on the amp?

Found a pic, is this your amp?

Start with everything flat, all filter/EQ/compression switches off, master gain off, input switch set to LOW, all knobs of your bassguitar on full and start setting the gain until you see the clip light (the red one, on the right) on, then set the gain knob back a click or two until it's off and leaves just the middle (yellow?!!) on. Then add master volume at will and follow the amp's layout and set your tone (shape -> EQ -> Compressor). Be sure, if you use the amps EQ to leave your curve set around the 0dB line, if your desired tone puts the curve too high or too low simply move all faders to adjust them to the 0dB line and reset gain if needed. Always check your gain clip LEDs after each modification to the settings.

Hope this will get you started, if you already tried all of this then just ignore me and take your problem to TE's tech support because you could have a issue on the amp.

cheers and good luck

Edit: just to clear one thing, the gain LED that you need to pay attention are the three that are above the gain knob, i wasn't refering to the one above the master volume!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Paul70bass' timestamp='1354543872' post='1887153']
Thanks guys,

Ghost Bass, the picture is indeed my amp.

I will try all the suggestions and see if I still have any issues
[/quote]

Good luck with that. The main idea around Trace gain setting is to get your amp setup to a point that when you play your bass in the harder way you'll ever be playing the red LED never lights, only the yellow.