Why become a member? ×

pickup mounting foam

tom1946

Morning all, I'm in need of some mounting foam or rubber for my MIM Precision. I recently bought an SPB-1 second hand off here but there was one long piece and a short bit which the pickup won't sit on properly. It's also a bit low and I can't get enough height on the pickup itself..

Tried to find some online but it's all in America. Any ideas where I can get some please?

thanks, Tom.

Is foam better than springs? I suppose it would be as once you set the height you don't really need to move them again. I need to replace the mounting screws on one of my Basses, as they're too long, and I was going to mount them with springs. Can't find anywhere that sells the screws I need at the length I need, though. They're either too long or too short, bloomin' typical.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1354310122' post='1884800']
Is foam better than springs? I suppose it would be as once you set the height you don't really need to move them again. I need to replace the mounting screws on one of my Basses, as they're too long, and I was going to mount them with springs. Can't find anywhere that sells the screws I need at the length I need, though. They're either too long or too short, bloomin' typical.
[/quote]
It's a little-known fact that the SI unit of excess and/or deficiency is the firkin. It is normally quoted as an even number, e.g. '2 firkin long".

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1354318825' post='1884907']
It's a little-known fact that the SI unit of excess and/or deficiency is the firkin. It is normally quoted as an even number, e.g. '2 firkin long".
[/quote]

that realy made me laugh.

I have a 2 ft square piece of that foam stuff left over from making monitor isolation pads. PM me yer address an ill get a bit in the post if you like.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1354310122' post='1884800']
[/quote]

If its pickup ring or scratchplate mounted, you need springs or rubber tube. silicon fuel hose from model shop works, and loads less fiddly than springs.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1354466340' post='1886269']
If its pickup ring or scratchplate mounted, you need springs or rubber tube. silicon fuel hose from model shop works, and loads less fiddly than springs.
[/quote]
That's not the case for me, no scratchplate or mounting ring. The only reason I thought about springs was because when trying to raise one of the pick-ups it wouldn't come up because the foam is too compressed. I am going to have to take the strings off to get the pick-ups out to get at the foam and I was hoping to have a bit of manoeuvrability once I had replaced the strings without having to take them off again.