Why become a member? ×

Ishibashi..?

SlapbassSteve

Hi all, after seeing a few mentions for the Japanese site Ishibashi I though I'd investigate, and there is some lovely stuff on there! Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with the site before, and any info such as how long it generally takes postagewise, and if there are any issues with import tax or anything?

I've bought 4 basses from Ishibashi (all from the Ubox) and provided that you get your enquiry in early enough I've never had any problems with them. The trick with making sure you get the bass you are after is to ask them to reserve it for you when you make your initial enquiry - Ishibashi is also a chain of actual shops in Japan and if you don't reserve what you are interested in there is a possibility that some will walk in off the street and buy it. The only problems I've ever had when trying to buy something from them is that the bass got sold between my seeing it on the site and them receiving my email - remember that Japan are ahead of us in time so when you see something on their site in morning it's already been on sale in Japan for a whole day!

As for shipping and customs, expect to pay around £100 for shipping depending on size and weight (ask for a shipping quote when you reserve the bass) and you will have to pay another 25% approximately in VAT and import duties. Shipping takes around 10 days from you paying Ishibashi to receiving a VAT/customs demand from Parcel Force. IMO once you factor in those other costs Ishibashi is only really worth it for second hand basses that aren't available in the UK already.

HTH.

Edited by BigRedX

Agree with Mr BRX, that unless what you're looking at isn't available in the UK/Europe then buying from Japan doesn't make economic sense these days. Back in 06/07 £1 would get you around Y250, these days it gets around Y130. It means that the used Yamaha BB1024 (priced at Y73,143, minus Japanese Sales Tax, which works out around £550/£560), including shipping, duties and VAT, works out around £830/£840. You can buy a new example here for around £700, and even the full list price is circa £890.

Have suspended selling outside Japan at certain times, but still sell/ship internationally [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/howtoorder.html"]http://www.ishibashi...howtoorder.html[/url]

Edit: Also worth noting the minimum order amount (Y50,000) is circa £380, and that the minimum excludes shipping charges.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1353688256' post='1877522']
Sorry if this is me being thick, but what is the Ubox?
[/quote]

It's their fantastic used selection (which on line is from all the shops in the chain). [url=http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/srDispCategoryTreeLink/doSearchCategory/11933200000/04-05/3/1]Here's what's currently available in the bass section.[/url]