Why become a member? ×

CatalinBread SFT - help me eliminate squeal

Lifer

So it's not massively loud in 9v but still there and 18v is completely unuseable.

It's a high pitch squeal, @9v it can only be heard when no-one's playing but still annoying!

Setup is Guild B301 (passive) - CatalinBread - Boss tuner - amp

Have tried it on lots of different amps, all the same. Is there a mod that can be done to the circuit or would some sort of power conditioner get rid of it?

Love the pedal and would be absolutely perfect if it wasn't for the noise.

is that off a battery or a power adaptor? If power addaptor try it with just the battery- otherwise I suspect it's the power supply rather than the pedal.
if that doesn't work I would open it up and check nothing is touching anything it shouldn't - it's a great wee pedal- or I guess it is, I built one myself, the cuircuit is basically a transitoriesd ampeg SVT

Thanks for the replies

Maplins adjustable voltage/polarity power supply, although when I tried running it 18v that was with a Maplins 18v power supply so pretty cheap in the big scheme of things.

Will try it with a battery but pretty sure it still squeals with the tuner first - SFT is always engaged as I use it as a pre-amp rather than 'effect'.

Edited by Lifer

Interesting pedal, that SFT. It's really [i][b]very [/b][/i]sensitive to the bass you play through it and the strength of the signal you supply, not to mention where in the signal chain you place it.

Get it right and it's heaven, get it wrong and it's atrocious!

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1354191547' post='1883279']
I've been looking at the Diago Micropower 9 funnily enough, looks good and if no squeal on 9v they do an adaptor which allows it to run at 18v.
[/quote]

The adaptor is another cool thing about diago! I've got a variety of adaptors in use with my powerstation, several 18v ones too! I might have a spare one at the mo as I sold one of my 18v pedals

• 3 weeks later...