Why become a member? ×

NEEDED London based Jazz bass / theory teacher.

mr.noisy

Hi there,
I'm looking for a seriously passionate and experienced teacher in London area. And I mean really passionate freak of sharing his love for music with his students, not only for extra income.
I need a guide, a mentor who help me reach my goals.
I have quite hard day job and I'm really tired of searching for new books, new methods and new teachers, spending lot of money and not getting too much positive results. I'd like to attend some shool but because of work I can't do it. I'm not a completely beginner, I self educated myself a bit, I know how to read music notation in bass and treble clef (but still not sight), I know basic major and minor scales, basic chords and some other basic stuff but the problem is that I can't organise my practice routines and can't properly choose material to work on as there is soooooooo much books, websites and when I'm getting back home from work completely shattered the last thing I want to do is spending my precious time sailing through thousands informations that makes me frustrate and stressed resulting with another wasted day.
All I want is exploring music theory in practical way that will help me become a good musician with solid knowledge and learn everything in well organised order to get the most from my time, build considerable repertoire and technique.
I know that all these things come with time and it's impossible to learn everything in one, two or ten lessons and I'm looking for long term teacher, I'd like to meet once a week or two weeks depending on how busy at work I am for as long I'll need it.

Moneywise it really doesn't matter for me, I can pay the right money for what I get and as I'm working really hard for every penny I need to feel a reason to get rid of it. What I require is passion first, but as it's about the jazz music I want my teacher to be really experienced and respected player in that genre with references to prove it.

So, if you are the right person or you know person who could be right please contact me ASAP!

Pat

Here's a great dude, Jamie Cullum's ex bassist, professor at Guildhall of music and very nice credits -
Seen him play once or twice! At his masterclass he seemed like a great guy and musician.

anyways - http://www.geoffgascoyne.com/
I believe he is on here too... Pm him!

IMHO, if you wana play jazz pick up the upright too :D

goodluck,

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I sent e-mail to Laurence Cottle, he replied after a while that unfortunately he don't have any free slots and recomended me to try again next year (it was november last year) so I'll try again soon. And you're right, many times it turned that some people with extraordinary playing skills couldn't really teach.

Might be worth asking Calum Gourlay. Really amazing player, nice guy, lovely teacher, very in-demand for gigs but could probably find time. Jasper Hoiby and Tom Farmer get a lot of good feedback but I don't have personal experience of studying with them. Best bet is to go to some jazz gigs and ask a bass player whose playing you enjoy whether they'd like to teach you.