Why become a member? ×

SOLD 1970's Kramer 450B twin p/u SOLD

lowregisterhead

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#282828]For sale is a 70's icon of a bass, a Kramer 450B, in amazing condition for an instrument of this age. It has an aluminium neck and headstock with wood inlays, as played by John Deacon of Queen, Nick Lowe, and Stanley Clarke, amongst others. It plays beautifully, sounds fantastic, and is in full working order. It's had the pots, knobs and jack socket replaced, and the bridge has been adapted for through-the-body stringing. Other than the odd scratch here and there, the only flaw is a crack in the wooden surround ring of the neck pickup. It comes with the original hard case, which has the top of the middle catch missing, but that's not bad after 35+ years! It's still perfectly useable, and bass and case will be packed in a sturdy carton if shipping is required.[/color]

A rare and very unusual bass. [s]£995[/s] [s]£950[/s] [s]£895[/s] now £850 including shipping in the UK.

Final price reduction - off to The Gallery for a commision sale soon if there are no takers! :o

[color=#282828]Mind you, it's a bit of a trek from Woking to Camden... PM me if you have a figure in mind - I can only say no! [/color] ;)[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]NOW SOLD[/font]

Edited by lowregisterhead

Dave, you seem to have a never ending stream of interesting basses!

Not in the market right now but for anyone not familiar with these, they were top flight almost boutique instruments in the late '70s. I had a lot of playing time on one back in the day and it was a terrific bass. The wood inlays on the back of the neck also help to mitigate what was perceived as the biggest problem with the similar Travis Bean instruments - a cold neck!

I have bought a bass from this man and a great experience it was so buy with confidence.

Cheers

Ed

Thanks for your kind words Ed, and for your observations about the Kramer - I remember when these basses came out, it was cutting-edge design back then, and I think it still looks great. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically, but an excellent bass none the less.

I also remember a rumour going around at the time that Kramers would go out of tune at the slightest change in temperature, but in Aberdeen where I grew up, I knew a guy in another local band who had one, and he had no such problems, even in the depths of a Scottish winter. I had a Rickenbacker, and that seemed to need constant tweaking. :-(

As for the 'never ending stream of interesting basses' I freely admit to being a complete bass tart! I'd keep them all if I could afford to, but there's a very limited amount of spare cash, especially these days, so it's a case of strictly one in one out. The American Standard P5 I was waiting for arrived a few days ago (got it with me down at the moment, doing a gig in Stavropol in the south of the Russian Federation tonight) so something else has to go, unfortunately...

Vintage Kramer "lumie" bump....

Just snagged a 650B after 30+ years of wanting one, utterly beautiful and unique-sounding bass that feels surprisingly "Precision-y"

As a bonus it's the ultimate low-maintenance bass - no truss rod (yes, I've owned Rics too....) and ebanol fretboard that never dries out

Nick Lowe's old 350B (alledgedly) on eBay for rather more wonga than Dave's 450B.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRAMER-ALUMINIUM-BASS-350B-EX-NICK-LOWE-VINTAGE-KRAMER-BASS-/390458092072?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5ae91daa28

I remember standing in Whites music shop in Sunderland in the 70's, looking up at one of these on the wall and a little bit of dribble was coming from the side of my mouth... :lol: I also remember it as being the single most expensive bass I had ever seen at the time :o those pictures took me back, I've never seen anyone playing a Kramer locally and often wonder who the lucky buyer was. That bass of yours is in amazing condition B)

Have a nostalgic thank you bump from me, and yes, I [i]still can't afford one :( :D [/i]

[i] ;) [/i]

Edited by BassTool

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1354357613' post='1885088']
Vintage Kramer "lumie" bump....

Just snagged a 650B after 30+ years of wanting one, utterly beautiful and unique-sounding bass that feels surprisingly "Precision-y"

As a bonus it's the ultimate low-maintenance bass - no truss rod (yes, I've owned Rics too....) and ebanol fretboard that never dries out

Nick Lowe's old 350B (alledgedly) on eBay for rather more wonga than Dave's 450B.... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRAMER-ALUMINIUM-BASS-350B-EX-NICK-LOWE-VINTAGE-KRAMER-BASS-/390458092072?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5ae91daa28"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae91daa28[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for your complimentary words about the Kramer Shaggy, and yes, Nick Lowe's one is nearly twice the price of mine. The only difference I can see is the custom neck pickup position (and the celebrity connections, obviously).

A bargain then! :)

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1354831605' post='1891123']
FINAL PRICE REDUCTION to £895 including shipping in the UK - off to The Gallery for a commision sale soon if there are no takers! :o
[/quote]

Mind you, it's a bit of a trek from Woking to Camden... PM me if you have a figure in mind - I can only say no! ;)