Why become a member? ×

5 string bass advice

lowlandtrees

High C does not necessarily have higher tension. It may feel that way because of the lesser diameter feeling more pointed on the fingertip.

Some folks, not liking low B, but wanting the low range, tune the lowest string to C so it is C-E-A-D-G instead of B-E-A-D-G. Even I experimented with that for awhile before going to a size larger B string and tuning conventionally.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1353318591' post='1873464']
I am missing something or am I right in thinking the op was asking about low C rather than high C? if so that will be fine as you will be tuning the B up to C which should be ok i would say as long as its got a good truss rod as it might want a tiny tweak tighter, thats all. :)
[/quote]

In that case; of course it will. It'll be a bass in C-standard with a higher string.
As for tensions, don't get into assumptions that a low-B string has lower tension than a high-C. It'd rattle on the frets otherwise. :-P

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1353337226' post='1873763']
High C does not necessarily have higher tension. It may feel that way because of the lesser diameter feeling more pointed on the fingertip.

Some folks, not liking low B, but wanting the low range, tune the lowest string to C so it is C-E-A-D-G instead of B-E-A-D-G. Even I experimented with that for awhile before going to a size larger B string and tuning conventionally.
[/quote]

ProseBass, who made my high C five string, specifically told me that it was so. I was asking him about changing it over to a Low B.

Thanks for this. Apols.....I was of the impression that the low string was tuned to C..........thinking of getting a 5 string. I'm a tad old fashioned and think that bass ws meant to play low notes. The lower the better......bet that will upset some people lol. I can see that the nut thing could be an issue. Thanks again.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1353606366' post='1876563']
Thanks for this. Apols.....I was of the impression that the low string was tuned to C..........thinking of getting a 5 string. I'm a tad old fashioned and think that bass ws meant to play low notes. The lower the better......bet that will upset some people lol. I can see that the nut thing could be an issue. Thanks again.
[/quote]
The main reason for multi-string basses is not the extension of range, whether low B, high C, or even 7-, 8-, or more string basses. The main purpose is faculty of playing, because it's easier to move laterally across the fingerboard instead of longitudinally up or down the fingerboard.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1353606366' post='1876563']
[/quote]

it's 2012, almost 2013. If playing note pitches that are usually found above the 5th fret upsets someone, just ask them what their décor is like under the rock they live in. :-D