Why become a member? ×

A head/cab set that will sound great at bedroom volume?

BassTractor

IMHO, the Ashdown Little Bastard 30W with an Ashdown LB-112 cab sounds wonderful at low volume.

But I'd like a second little rig with totally different sound for experimenting and learning.
So I aske thee:

Does a lightweight (max 20 kg per unit) little head/cab set exist that sounds very different than my Ashdown set, say really Hi-Fi, and that will start sounding great even at very low volume?

Listening to a TC Electronic BH500 with BC212 cab, I seemed to notice it needed quite some volume before starting to sound well. From experience in home Hi-Fi equipment, I suppose the same will go for a lot of amps/cabs.

Within reason, price is not really an object, as I'll just save until I can afford it, and I'm quite good at that.

Thanks for any help!

best,
bert

I recently bought an EBS neo110 cab from a fellow basschatter which is proving excellent for low volume hifi sound. I'm using it with my TC electronics RH750 head but I would imagine any of the current crop of micro amps would work well, the new TC electronic BH250 amp springs to mind or perhaps a GK MB200. The Epifani 110 might also be a good choice, in short I think small quality cabs are probably the way forward ... oh and PJB cabs would be worth a look.

cheers

Martin

Anything will sound good at low volume if the noise floor (i.e. hiss etc) is not too high and you can EQ it to deal with the deficiencies of the human ear at low SPL:

Home practice is likely to be around 70-80dB, gigging more likely 100-110dB. If you want something small and tiny and hi-fi for quiet home use only than a single active studio monitor is probably the best solution!

Ah! Great!
Thanks very much for the response, guys!

Martin,
I buy that idea of an EBS immediately, but thought the TCE BH250 had "that tc sound". Could one say it's one of the really Hi-Fi ones?

Alex,
I see the point of that active monitor.
But, if I understand this correctly, I can also just get the Barefaced cab I want anyway (no honey here - just a fact), and a little Hi-Fi head with good EQ. Can I? In case I could buy a Hi-Fi gig set and use it at home as well. I do want to go out and play with my buddy's band eventually.

WWH,
I'm sure the tech21 is great, but I already have 1 guitar combo and 2 bass combos. Also the Little Bastard set sound bee'ootifully with a guitar. Right now I want a separate head and cab, and experiment with different types of connections. Want to experiment and learn.

Thanks again!
best,
bert

Seeing Alex's response makes me think you'd actually do very well with a Barefaced Midget T if money's no object. It's small light and can go very loud if you need it for gigging, I used to have a Midget along with Barefaced Compact and inadvertently did a pub gig useing just a Midget (I forgot to plug the Compact in!)... handled it no problem!

Just looking at EQ is not the whole solution - the loudness curve by its nature means that dynamics are very important, the louder it is overall the better you can hear the quieter parts of a note. Bass guitar on records, designed to sound good at moderate volume, is very heavily compressed and limited, typically in a frequency-conscious manner.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' timestamp='1353002767' post='1870417']
Seeing Alex's response makes me think you'd actually do very well with a Barefaced Midget T if money's no object. It's small light and can go very loud if you need it for gigging, I used to have a Midget along with Barefaced Compact and inadvertently did a pub gig useing just a Midget (I forgot to plug the Compact in!)... handled it no problem!
[/quote]

Yeah, I think you're right. It's clearly heading that type of way.
Gives me the flexibility to go out and play and there's a very good chance I'll love it at home with the Bongo and such.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1353004848' post='1870444']
Just looking at EQ is not the whole solution - the loudness curve by its nature means that dynamics are very important, the louder it is overall the better you can hear the quieter parts of a note.
[/quote]

Yeah, I see your point, and concur out from my Hi-Fi background.
In addition, I think a large element cone hardly moving should physically have trouble with details due to lack of stiffness and lack of exact control by the amp. My guess is that [i]averagely[/i] one would do better with a smaller cone moving more. At home, I'm positively surprised by both my 112 and 110, and wouldn't dare taking the risk buying a 118. Unless I'm "correctified" on this of course.

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1353103818' post='1871782']
Do you sleep with your Bass too ?
[/quote]

You should really be above such stupid questions. [i]Everyone[/i] sleeps with their basses - in bass sandwich even. Bluejay has admitted which specific need she'd use the Corvette's horn for, and me, myself am admitting nothing as to my Corvette's horn! [i]Nothing![/i] (Don't even think of getting me started on the headless bass.) ;)

[quote name='Damian1727' timestamp='1353116279' post='1871896']
Have a peek at a CURT EMERY BASS BABY xx
[/quote]

Whoah! That's my Little Bastard in the For Sale forum as of this very minute! Plus [b][i]n[/i][/b] years!
This is not bedroom stuff but living room stuff!
Happily all my gear is in the living room ... Er ... [b]is[/b] the living room.

Thanks, guys!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor