Why become a member? ×

OLP Stingray Bass

kevbass

Hello Ladies and Gents,

As you know Ive got me an ernie ball stingray pup that I have up for sale or trade in the bits section, however, whilst in a music shop yesterday I spotted a really smart looking OLP stingray hanging on the wall, guy said I could have it for £180. Now the pickup would be easy to install, a straight swap. Can anyone give me their experience or opinion as to what OLP's are like in terms of build quality. Im tempted to pop out this afternoon and get it.

Edited by kevbass

i used to have a five string. they're great basses, well built and everything, but they're also crying out for an active circuit to be put in them IMO. i don't know why they make the OLP passive...

Edited by lwtait

Well enough built, some corners cut obviously (the use of linear pots for example - yuck). +1 for the active comment, I added an Artec SE-2A to my MM3, much better now. See here for some improved OLPs -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14009[/url]

Guest MoJo

Build quality is very good. I pimped my MM2 with Seymour Duncan pup and SD 3-band active pre-amp. Monster sound for very little dosh. One of the most playable basses I've ever owned.

Mark

I won an MM3 in the BassBash raffle!

I really like it.
It's still passive, but quite hot.
I'm finding I like the variation that having independent volume controls for each coil gives. The passive tone really does only just skim the very top off, so I'd guess it's a 0.22 microfarad job.

The neck's true and the overall tone is fine. Quite a good low "B", and it's all well enough screwed together. Finish is more than you'd expect from a realtively inexpensive instrument, and it's not so thick as to rob the tone of a bit of earthy growl.
I assume it's strung with EBs (no silks suggests they might well be)

Nonetheless, I'm fancying a V/V/ stacked BT control layout... I'm unsure as to what P/U I'd have. Does anyone manufacture an aftermarket Neodymium-poled affair for the Bongo?

Where's the 9v going to go, though?
Is it going to need routing, or is there space enough under the scratchplate (if there is, can you be bothered to unscrew it all for battery changes!!

In any case, I'd go for it for £180...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='196080' date='May 10 2008, 04:59 PM']In any case, I'd go for it for £180...[/quote]

I did just that. Im pretty impressed, finish is nice, necks very playable, and it has a good weight to it and it sits nicely. I dont think I'll worry about fitting an active pre amp to it because the passive stingray pup should run pretty hot by itself. for £180 im pretty pleased with it :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='196116' date='May 10 2008, 05:44 PM']I did just that. Im pretty impressed, finish is nice, necks very playable, and it has a good weight to it and it sits nicely. I dont think I'll worry about fitting an active pre amp to it because the passive stingray pup should run pretty hot by itself. for £180 im pretty pleased with it :)[/quote]

For the cost of a strip of raffle tickets (thanks, Ped!) I'm over the moon about mine!!!
Happy playing!

I've never owned a OLP Bass, but i bought the MM1 guitar last year for £160, really really impressed with build quality, sound quality, even the photographic finish on top looked impressive, well worth the money, and i have no doubt the basses will be the same

Go for it! :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='198724' date='May 14 2008, 01:57 PM']Some are very, very good. Some aren't.

QC is somewhat touch and go, to the extent that they've recently lost their licence to produce the instruments.[/quote]

hoping its a good one, should be here in about an hour.

W00P

Got an extra string to play with now and an extra Humbucker.
Sucks im stuck at work and I cant plug it in and make a mess of playing a low B.

Ill have a play tonight, doubt its gonna be anything like my other stingray but im sure it'll be fun as hell to play about with. Active too, im already thinking about upgrading it and I havent even heard it yet haha.