Why become a member? ×

Fender US Jaco fretless * WITHDRAWN *

Clarky

Hi all, I have a US Fender Jaco fretless bass (the artist edition, I believe, which sells new in the UK for £1600-odd). Its a nice-to-have for me but not essential as I only play double bass or acoustic fretless bass in my band and my '63 Precision is the bass I always pick up to noodle with at home. I traded the Jaco with BC'er chris2112 a couple of months back for a Warwick custom 5 string that I valued at £1000 and have since added a custom Bass Doc-manufactured 1962 Jazz reissue-pattern tort scratchplate (which could be removed in seconds if you want it to look pure Jaco). The first owner (BC'er dudi8) added Fender custom shop '60s Jazz pickups and relic'ed it to make it resemble the Custom Shop version, I believe. It comes in a lightweight generic hard case.

Its a super bass but - in the interest of full disclosure - there is one minor issue: a small dimple in the epoxy finish around the 7th 'fretline' on the A string (possibly caused by impact by a previous owner) - if you play hard on that point it buzzes a bit, but not if you play more lightly. This could be filled with a small blob of superglue or epoxy glue and fine sanded or a luthier could fix it quickly (I got a quote from Alex at the Bass Gallery and he said luthier supremo Martin could fix it for £40 but recommended I just put a blob of superglue on and fine sand it). I did put in a small amount of superglue but not quite enough so there is still a slight dimple there.

Here it is with scratchplate: [attachment=123528:P1050517.JPG]

Here is chris2112's FS ad with loads of pics without scratchplate: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184831-for-salefor-trade-fender-jaco-pastorius-fretless-jazz-bass/page__p__1860331__hl__jaco__fromsearch__1#entry1860331"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1860331[/url]

OK moolah type stuff. I will sell for £900 posted with a 48-hour Interparcel service. Or its handover/collection in London for £875 (via bank transfer). Afraid, no trade offers as I would appreciate some cash right now (lots of outgoings on house at present eg, fixing leaking roof) and I have plenty of bass gear. If you didn't want the scratchplate I would cut £15 off the price so I could recoup by selling it separately on BC.

Edited by Clarky

this was my first hand bass, a truly amazing bass, the neck was epoxied at a pro luthier, and reliced too. also the pot was changed to fender pre cbs! i spent only on the upgrades approx 600-700 pounds!
it is one the best fretless jazz basses ive heard!
the buyer will be a happy person, guaranteed!

*if you would be interested in trades i will take it! :)

Edited by dudi8

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1352648040' post='1865542']
you can put the bass i will trade you on the roof to stop the leak B)
[/quote]It would need at least three basses as there are at least three places my roof is leaking! So that's a 'no', sorry!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1352787966' post='1867363']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DXcFg1TFo[/media]
[/quote]

Quality. It's never the same hearing anyone else play it, no matter how good (they think) they are.

Cracking bass, if only I had the cash, and the ability to play it!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1352994322' post='1870292']
Lovely bass mate, how about I come and sit in your attic with several buckets for 6 months and you give me the bass at the end?
[/quote]
Cheers Chris, but I see from your sig you already have a surfeit of fretless basses! Anyway, the 7k has sadly already left the building ....