Why become a member? ×

Tascam MP BT-1

The recommended PS-P520 AC adapter seems a bit pricey to me, I was wondering if any other users out there have found a cheaper alternative? I'd be tempted to try a generic 5v adapter, but I cant find the mA rating in the specs. I have seen a plug that accepts a USB cable that claims to charge mp3 players etc, but I'm a bit sceptical, as one Amazon reviewer said the one he bought [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIRECT-technology-travel-adapter-charger/dp/B000J56CMQ/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_2"]exploded!![/url] !! :)

Cheers

Andy

[quote name='andyonbass' post='195832' date='May 10 2008, 08:39 AM']The recommended PS-P520 AC adapter seems a bit pricey to me, I was wondering if any other users out there have found a cheaper alternative? I'd be tempted to try a generic 5v adapter, but I cant find the mA rating in the specs. I have seen a plug that accepts a USB cable that claims to charge mp3 players etc, but I'm a bit sceptical, as one Amazon reviewer said the one he bought [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/DIRECT-technology-travel-adapter-charger/dp/B000J56CMQ/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_2"]exploded!![/url] !! :)

Cheers

Andy[/quote]

I charge mine from my laptop via usb

[quote name='steve' post='195840' date='May 10 2008, 09:04 AM']I charge mine from my laptop via usb[/quote]

yeah, I have to do mine via the PC, but I'm going to be working away from home quite a bit in the coming months, and I dont have a laptop, unfortunately

I also charge mine via USB, but I've got a multi power adaptor that I got from Argos [url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701/Trail/searchtext%3EMULTI+ADAPTOR.htm"]Multi Adaptor[/url] I got it for Christmas to power my old multi effects unit. But it goes down to 5 volts and comes with different sized "ends" for different appliances, and it works well for me and I haven't had a problem with it yet....touch wood lol I hope this helps?

You anywhere near a Maplin shop? They'd be able to help you out - go to them with a voltage and a current and you'll get something suitable. I'm powering a Zoom 607 multi fx and a massaging chair with their adaptors, no probs.

Get one with the exchangeable plugs rather than the 4 way all in one "star" plug - neater and tidier. And MAKE SURE YOU GET THE POLARITY RIGHT :)

[quote name='Wooks' post='195905' date='May 10 2008, 11:43 AM']I also charge mine via USB, but I've got a multi power adaptor that I got from Argos [url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701/Trail/searchtext%3EMULTI+ADAPTOR.htm"]Multi Adaptor[/url] I got it for Christmas to power my old multi effects unit. But it goes down to 5 volts and comes with different sized "ends" for different appliances, and it works well for me and I haven't had a problem with it yet....touch wood lol I hope this helps?[/quote]
I've got the very same for charging mine and it does the job brilliantly.

I love my Tascam, I love all of it's features and the fact that it's portable. I''ve taken mine with me when I've been to lessons and cranked it up with some wierd effect and the reactions have been spectacular :) You see the faces turn and look at you and they all say what's that and I've got to get me one of those!! What's your favourite feature on the unit?? Anybody got any good tips/tricks which they have come across too??

Well, the DHA one doesn't do 5v, however, my lads PSP mains adapter seems to tick all the boxes. The tip fits but before I flick the switch I thought I'd run it by you folks and see if you can see a potential problem.
Here's the Tascam (thanks Steve

[attachment=8582:PSP520_xlarge.jpg]

and here's the psp

[attachment=8583:DSCF0004.JPG]

Watcha reckon?

Edited by andyonbass

Yay!! It works a treat! :)
Cheers for your help, guys

[quote name='Wooks' post='196023' date='May 10 2008, 03:40 PM']What's your favourite feature on the unit?? Anybody got any good tips/tricks which they have come across too??[/quote]

I bypass all the effects on mine and just use it to improve my lines on songs we record during rehearsals using a Zoom h2. This records to mp3 format, which I can upload to the Tascam via my PC. I find the slowdown facility useful to learn songs for dep gigs, and I use the metronome quite a bit

Cheers

Andy

[quote name='The Burpster' post='196366' date='May 11 2008, 10:02 AM']OK chapsters....

Having just acquired one of these... (curiousity) does plugging in teh external power source charge teh internal battery as well?

Or does that only happen thru the mini USB port?[/quote]

I believe the question is whether it charges [i]while[/i] being used on external power. This I will find out - mine's on 2 out of 3 battery bars at the moment - just plugged it into the mains while it's actually on. Will leave it for a while and see if the battery is fully charged when I unplug it.

I reckon it does - when it's on and using battery power, the orange light is off. When it's on and powered externally, the orange light is on.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='196393' date='May 11 2008, 10:41 AM']Neeph....

Yep your right sorry, it was a badly phrased question.

I have mine on charge (I think) ornage light on but not switched on... deos it go out when the internal cell is fully charged?

Thx.[/quote]

Dunno - I'll let you know in the next few hours :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='196393' date='May 11 2008, 10:41 AM']Neeph....

I have mine on charge (I think) ornage light on but not switched on... deos it go out when the internal cell is fully charged?

Thx.[/quote]

When its fully charged, the orange light will go out, according to the manual.

[Edit] I've just charged mine with the psp adapter, and that is indeed the case