Why become a member? ×

Stand in gigs, what a pleasure...

PaulKing

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]One of the greatest pleasures of making music is doing it with other people, and for the entertainment of other people who love the same music. [/font][/color]

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]And one of the pleasures of doing this as a part time hobby, is being able to stand in with varied bands and respected musicians.[/font][/color]

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]And one of the pleasures of playing double bass is that there aren't that many of us around.[/font][/color]

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The blues circuit over here is small enough, and the number of West Coast/Jump style bassists few enough, that I've had the pleasure of playing alongside some of the UK's best bluesmen this year. And of course, the more your name gets around, the more you get the calls.[/font][/color]

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]After a handful of slots this year with Gentleman Tim and the Contenders, with Jules and the Gamblers, then more recently the fantastic Rollo Markee and the Tailshakers (TONIGHT: Round Midnight bar, Islington, 9.30-12), plus odd gigs with Rock and Rollers Johnny and the Zephyrs, and a planned reunion gig with 'billy band Wild (15 years after last gig with them...), I just got called out of the blue by Britain's top blues harpist West Weston (plays all over the world with Mud Morganfield, and in Trickbag's All Star line up) ... so tomorrow night I'll be lining up with West Weston's Bluesonics at London's premier juke joint, Ain't Nothing But the Blues. [/font][/color]

[color=#660000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]To me, that is cool... I'm chuffed to bits.[/font][/color]

It's nice when that happens...getting work through referrals for top artists. I agree with you Paul, there aren't enough DB players on hand for blues, jazz and folk on the circuit and all the best ones are always busy! I know I would probably get more work if I offered DB duties. I did have a DB years ago, but lacked a bit of confidence with it. I have been tinkering with the idea lately, but I will have to put a lot of work into it and I am not sure I have the time to do so.

Great stuff, Paul. I've been carting my bass round the freelance scene for the last 50 years and work with about 15 bands each year. I've got four gigs just next week and the phone still rings after all this time. Each call gives me a buzz and I never ask about the money because the gig comes first and I know I'll get the best wedge that the fixer can afford.

There's an interesting and lively topic going on in this forum about reading. I couldn't do the work I do without being able to read off charts - I don't mean tabs - I'm amazed that folks hold them in such high regard. I'm used to a front man passing me back a (sometimes) scruffy piece of paper with some hastily written chords and I make the best of those. Oh, and big ears and a love of good tunes.

As you say, what a pleasure.

Edited by bassace

Thanks all, it was a stonking gig. Yes, the stage is a bit wider these days John, so that's better. Although they've replaced that behringer with a crappy Ashdown. Last time I played there With Tim I went thru the pa instead. Took the little mark bass on Sat and it blew the place apart, I had such an awesome tone, clear, punchy, crisp... And loud. Steve is a loud harpist, but I was clear as day all night - did wonders for my confidence.

Anyway, seems I did OK , I had a blast, Steve was really complementary, gave me a solo amidst much whooping and fanfare, and he went to the trouble of texting the morning after to say thanks, and promise more jobs in future. Yay!

Look out for Steve and his Bluesonics backing Mud Morganfield on Jools Holland next week.