Why become a member? ×

Fender Japanese Precision Sunburst Rosewood Board Sold Thanks!

ash

Here is my Fender Precision, it was bought as a back up for my JV Squier. Its very similar to the JV but lighter in weight and has a black scratchplate. The quality of these basses is astonishing. It has the extra strap button on the back of the headstock and reverse tuners. The bass is in near perfect condition, no dings and everything functions as it should. The neck is lovely, frets in superb shape with a nice low action. It has a nice amber patina to the lacquer and looks suitably vintage.The body is three pieces of alder and there is some grain figuring to the centre. The bridge is a spiral threaded type. All chrome parts are in excellent condition with no tarnishing. The bass dates from the late 90's and was made/crafted in Japan. Electrics work perfectly and the bass has a nice P bass growl. I've just bought an old US Elite P bass so I need to move this on. I will include a nice new bog standard rectangular case.

I don't want any trades unless anyone out there has an old half size double bass - no other trades sorry - I'm trying to operate on a strictly 'one in one out' basis but I would like a second 1/2 size double bass (or even a Boosey & Hawkes 3/4 DB as featured elsewhere on this site if you are looking!) :) nothing else.

Pickup would be preferred but I can post within the UK only Parcelforce 48 at cost to the buyer if necessary.
I'm looking at £450 firm with the case,

Just checked the serial - letter P followed by 6 digits - at The Guitar Dater Project and its earlier than I thought -

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1993 - 1994

However some sites state that the crafted in Japan P prefix serial numbers followed by only 5 digits were made between 1999 and 2002. I bought this having been told it was a late 90s.

What it definitely is is a lovely Fender Japan Precision!

Edited by ash

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1352451666' post='1863124']
was this cream/ivory+maple 1983 pbass form ebay? I was gas-ing on it! :D
bump for a lovely bass!
[/quote]

Yep that was the one, been looking for ages for one in that combo. Hopefully arriving Tuesday!

The bass is actually earlier than I thought according to the Guitar Dater Project -

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1993 - 1994

The serial starts P0

Cheers

ok thanks.
that would probably make it 1999-2002 according to fender:
http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/japanese-instruments-product-dating/
[i]Crafted in Japan[/i] P + 6 digits 1999-2002
[i]made in japan[/i] P+6digits is 93/94.

what a crazy system?!

anyway, thanks, just wanted to be accurate as am having a think about this one :)

Yes there are anomalies in the Fender system the crafted series is denoted by a letter plus 5 digits the made in by a letter plus 6 according to many sites! I bought it knowing it was a late 90s but the guitar dater project is usually pretty accurate. Also have a look at this -
According to a Fender representative, it was in the Fender Japan contract that
if there was a change of manufacturer from Fujigen Gakki to another guitar factory then
the logo would be changed from MIJ ("Made in Japan") to CIJ ("Crafted in Japan").
The first CIJ Fenders start around 1992 but most of the Japanese Fenders up till
1996/1997 are MIJ Fenders. In 1991/1992 Fujigen were expanding their factory operations
by establishing Fujigen Hirooka Inc. to be able to take on additional set neck
(Gibson like necks) contracts (such as the Orville by Gibson contract).
At the result of production delay during this Fujigen new facility expansion,
Dyna Gakki took over some of the production of the Japanese Fender models which
resulted in a CIJ logo being used on some Japanese Fenders instead of a MIJ logo.
CIJ is mostly used on Fenders from 1996/1997 until recently due to Tokai and Dyna Gakki
taking over the Fender Japan manufacturing contract from Fujigen Gakki in 1996/1997.
The Fender Squire were also brought into line to be in sync with the Japanese Fenders
at around the same time (1996/1997) with 'Crafted' rather than 'Made' being used.
"Made in Japan" is used on some current Fender Japan models (2007) instead of
"Crafted in Japan".
Taken from - http://www.music-trade.co.jp/Fenderjapanserial.html
All very confusing! Anyway its a Japanese Fender from the 90s :)