Why become a member? ×

Tuning, It helps you breath more easily!

baseline9

I just wanted to start a thread to get thoughts and opinions on different tuning.

We mainly play standard E, Eb to help the saxes and Drop D (Dadgad!)

A new fave one of mine is Eb but with a drop D so C#, man the bass sound massive when I hit that C#! The tenor sax player said to me the other day "You filthy ba$%^$D!" lol!

The other I want to try but not had chance yet, Drop C (Am a bit Kyuss and QOTSA fan!)

I think these are fairly basic and I know there are many more out there so would be good to share experiences :)

Cheers
Base.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1352307716' post='1861424']
mark tremonti uses some interesting ones for his guitar which work with drop tuned bass.

i think he tunes his guitar something like CGCGCC (i could be wrong check it out on google)..... i copied it once and christ it didn't half make for an epic guitar sound
[/quote]
I think Devin Townsend does that - makes the open strings one massive power chord. I remember reading Byron Stroud who play bass for him saying it made life interesting sometimes for the bass

I don't care so long as the steps are the same. I have a d-tuner on my Shuker but I can't use it. All my patterns are instantly jacobsed and I haven't a clue. I suppose concentration might help but I gave that up for lent in 1988. I keep meaning to try a Kubicki - that seems a better solution to me. I used to keep my Status tuned down to D just for that low D note. Never needed or wanted a low B - it has that springy , farty quality that irritates me.

So far as staying in tune - I never have any problems because I stretch them almost to destruction when I change them (not often - we're talking years rather than months). In fact I have destroyed several new strings putting them on. I sit down and bounce the bass up and down on my lap by yanking each string to the ceiling a dozen times - really lifting it off my legs. If it survives - it's good for years and will never go out of tune.