Why become a member? ×

Solderers!

Zenitram

If you're doing a bit of soldering work to replace/repair a pick-up, or a knob, or you're DIY'ing an FX pedal, or, er, something else, and you need some wire, or cable, what do you use, what's it called, and where do you get it from?

Edited by Zenitram

I use solid copper wire from mains cable offcuts I scavenge for the earth between pots in guitars, solid wire means if the pot comes loose it can't rotate. Screened wire from Maplins for the signal path, massive pile of scavenged wire, bundles from washing machines being scrapped for spares, that stuff is good because its silicone sleeved for head resistance in some places, which means no burnt ends.

Equipment Wire or Hook-up Wire. You'll often see figures like 7/0.2 in the specs - this means number of strands/strand diameter (so 7 strands @ 0.2mm dia).

16/0.2 is ideal.

Shedloads on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=hook%20up%20wire&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

P.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1351771445' post='1855121']
I use solid copper wire from mains cable offcuts I scavenge for the earth between pots in guitars, solid wire means if the pot comes loose it can't rotate. Screened wire from Maplins for the signal path, massive pile of scavenged wire, bundles from washing machines being scrapped for spares, that stuff is good because its silicone sleeved for head resistance in some places, which means no burnt ends.
[/quote]

I always wondered why earth wirings on a lot of my basses have solid wires instead of sleeves ones. Thinking about it now this makes sense. :-)

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1351797555' post='1855619']
7/0.2 is fine for effects or guitars, I prefer to use multi core as it's more flexible and I find the solder joints are more reliable than single core
[/quote]

+1 tin the wires with solder first then joint should make easily and reliably if you use a decent soldering iron.

also if working on pcbs / diy fx etc it can be better to use a thin single core wire like 'Kynar' wire as long as you have the appropriate strippping widget. Saves space and can attach to SMT components etc.