Why become a member? ×

Double bass GAS

gapiro

Mini rant about GAS :P

We rehearse in a school music block (our drummer is in IT there and our singer a music teacher too)

Halfway through a rehearsal we go for a little break.
Wandered into another music room, and lo and behold, a Double Bass, and a couple of banjos.

Anyway, cue a country style version of Billie Jean and now I really fancy learnin to play double Bass properly. It just felt so natural in terms of fingering and play style.

Anyone else made the transition on a whim? I'ts not likely to happen yet to be honest, given the cost of a DB, and then lessons, but something for the future I reckon.

I've just made the transition, but not on a whim, I have been meaning to give it a try for a long while. However, I bought my double bass without actually trying a double bass first!

I'm now four weeks into it, I'm taking lessons and studying and practising as much and as good as I can. It's quite addictive and the study I'm putting in is helping me improve as a musician (again) and focus on my task in hand.

GAS will no doubt come again in another year or so when I will want to upgrade to a more expensive DB!

early this year i really felt the itch,bought a Stagg EUB which was ok but only 4 weeks later had ordered a propper DB & i'm just loving it to bits,no lessons required i just picked the thing up :)
my band loved it that much we now just play 1950's tunes with a few original numbers all in a blue grass / rockabilly style.
the poor old bass guitar doesn't get much of a look in now.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1351615873' post='1853313']
the poor old bass guitar doesn't get much of a look in now.
[/quote]
Yep, I'm the same. I have the DB leaning in a corner of my kitchen which makes it really easy to have a quick noodle whenever the fancy takes me. However, it also instantly lets everyone know where I am and that I'm not doing whatever I was supposed to be doing :)