Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Found my sound! (bass-wise at least!)

alstocko

Just a story to cheer up those having gear woes, as I've had over the years.

I've finally found "my" sound!

I traded my Marcus Miller Jazz for a Lakland JO5 on here about 4 months ago, that really worked out for me, here's why...

I was looking for a five string, as I do a lot of session stuff and fusion that needs that low filth. I was really happy with the result, but there was something wrong that I just couldn't put my finger on...

I had played with flats before (la bellas), but I'd thought they were too clanky for my taste (my MM jazz's fault I guess). also, I was convinced that I was playing music that "needed rounds".

So...

I took the plunge and bought some Joe Osborn signatures from Lakland and wow!
Perfectly balanced (for me at least!), a tone to die for and as smooth as Issac Hayes! :D

I'm having to roll the tone back at the moment, as they're still a bit too lively, but they're getting better and better every day!

I've completely lost all GAS that I had before, and can see myself playing this bass for as long as it lets me!

The amp setup is not quite there, but excellent for now!

Peace guys,

Have a good Sunday,

Alec

Two weeks

Edited by alstocko

There is something about Lakland basses that tick every 'tone' box for me on a job. That's why I pretty much only take my 55-02 to the studio. I never intended for that bass to be a jack of all trades for me when I bought it, but it quickly became that after I got acquainted with it. The low B is incredibly well balanced and tight...one of the best on a 5 string outside of a Dingwall. Plus, it plays like a dream!

Over the past 8yrs I would say my 55-02 has been used on 90% of all of of the jobs that I have recorded. It has certainly earned its keep. I haven't found a modern music style yet whereby it doesn't kick ass.

I have always fancied a 5 string JO jazz or even a DJ jazz, but as good as those basses are I don't think they would get much of a look in up against the 55-02...simply because I have played it and enjoyed it so much it will always be my No.1 'go to' bass for recording for many years to come.

Anyway...welcome to Club Lakland! Hope you have plenty of fun with your JO jazz!

Yes! A convert to flats after 30-odd years playing Rotos, I tried La Bellas (too floppy - fnarr), then Chromes (too stiff - fnarr) and then some Lakland Joe Osborn Sig Flats (Medium) and now I'm happy as a sandbag. Gets you 'that' tone with a P-Bass - particularly with a pick. GHS Precision Flats are indeed the UK equivalent, but it's still cheaper to import the Laklands from Chicago - what's that about, then?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351382187' post='1850767']
Yes! A convert to flats after 30-odd years playing Rotos, I tried La Bellas (too floppy - fnarr), then Chromes (too stiff - fnarr) and then some Lakland Joe Osborn Sig Flats (Medium) and now I'm happy as a sandbag. Gets you 'that' tone with a P-Bass - particularly with a pick. GHS Precision Flats are indeed the UK equivalent, but it's still cheaper to import the Laklands from Chicago - what's that about, then?
[/quote]

La Bellas were a bit too floppy for me, and for a guy used to stifff rounds (lo riders), these hit the spot!

No idea why they're cheaper, I just went with them because they are!

I'm loving club Lakland!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351382187' post='1850767']
GHS Precision Flats are indeed the UK equivalent, but it's still cheaper to import the Laklands from Chicago - what's that about, then?
[/quote]

I get my GHS flats here for a better price than Lakland.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHS-Regular-55-105-Precision-Flatwound-Long-Scale-Plus-Bass-Strings-3050-/190746210837?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c695c3215"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHS-Regular-55-105-Precision-Flatwound-Long-Scale-Plus-Bass-Strings-3050-/190746210837?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c695c3215[/url]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1351537124' post='1852361']
I get my GHS flats here for a better price than Lakland. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHS-Regular-55-105-Precision-Flatwound-Long-Scale-Plus-Bass-Strings-3050-/190746210837?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c695c3215"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c695c3215[/url][/quote]

Good call. I'll check them out next time. ;)

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1351545103' post='1852508']
Those aren't the same scale though, mine are 45-128, I feel they are balanced better...[/quote]

They also do a Medium Gauge set, 45-65-85-105, though still Long Scale Plus... OK for 34", though. Allegedly.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GHS-Medium-45-105-Precision-Flatwound-Stainless-Steel-Long-Scale-Plus-M3050-/190746434043?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c695f99fb&_uhb=1"]http://www.ebay.co.u...695f99fb&_uhb=1[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1351545338' post='1852515']

They also do a Medium Gauge set, 45-65-85-105, though still Long Scale Plus... OK for 34", though. Allegedly.

[/quote]
Ahh ok, my bass is a 35", I have heard that the two strung sets are just boxes differently, so of I can find the GHS set for cheaper, I may try them, in 20 years when I'm finished with these