Why become a member? ×

Pickup recommendations: Fretless P&J bass a la Fender Tony Franklin

JPJ

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for pickups for a fretless passive P bass project I'm starting. The finished article will be in the style of the Fender Tony Franklin bass with an unlined ebony boarded neck (thanks to our very own petergales). The intended use is in a rhythm and blues power trio/quartet so will need to 'cut through' with a healthy dose of mid-range snarl, burp and mwahh.

I'm tempted by the Wizard P/J combo as I've heard good things about these pickups but I'm open to all other suggestions for a balanced pair of pickups in the P/J style.

Well, my bitsa J copy sounds bloody great with Wizard Hammers in it! I guess you could pair a Hammer in the bridge position with a Thumper in the P position?

BTW, you are welcome to have a try of mine if you want to get an idea of how it sounds.

I have went through Fender, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncans, Wizard and finally got to Lindy Fralins. If money is no object I would go with the Fralins, on the cheaper side Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder P with a hot jazz stack at the bridge. The fralins can be overwound to give a good 'grunt'.

jonnybass