Why become a member? ×

musicman stingray age help

ian

I would say it's late 80s to very early 90s. The six bolt neck attachment and truss rod wheel commenced early 90s.

If you join the Ernie Ball Musicman bass forum, there is a sticky thread on there for individual bass info - give them your serial number and request all of the info they have on your bass and someone from Musicman will respond with the date of birth, original spec and where it was shipped to etc.

If your bass is trans red it's likely it has an alder body (most trans red were alder up to the 2000s). Many trans red of that era had transparent pick guards also - 87-88 era is most likely. Arguably slightly smoother sounding than an ash bodied Stingray.

You can get a new mute assembly for the bridge - it's sold as a Musicman part - phone Strings and Things, the UK Musicman distributor and they should either be able to order you one or point you to a dealer who can. You have to loosen the bridge screws/bolts to slide the old one out/new one in.

V nice bass btw!

Edited by drTStingray

Funky looking bass but we need to see the logo to be more accurate, the bridge serials are very hit and miss IMO, the rear logo makes it at least '87 and the four bolt no later than '91 but a close up of the logo should date it even closer as the little mens jumpers can even give the game away! Thermos flask and adanoids at the ready :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351339508' post='1850270']
Funky looking bass but we need to see the logo to be more accurate, the bridge serials are very hit and miss IMO, the rear logo makes it at least '87 and the four bolt no later than '91 but a close up of the logo should date it even closer as the little mens jumpers can even give the game away! Thermos flask and adanoids at the ready :lol:
[/quote]

The Musicman database is pretty accurate - in fact totallly so!! You are right though - the trans logo (Ernie Ball applied over the Musicman name) as on my Classic (attached) was only used for a couple or three years - resurrected for the Classic series in 2010.

I would guess, based on limited info and pics, that it is 1987-89. Has gloss on the back of the neck, I think. 4 bolt. Clear guard and see through red is a mid 80s vibe. Has the decal on the back of the headstock, which is later. Could b
e as stated before, as late as 91. But if we are taking a gambling vibe, I will bet 88.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1351351282' post='1850458']

The Musicman database is pretty accurate - in fact totallly so!! You are right though - the trans logo (Ernie Ball applied over the Musicman name) as on my Classic (attached) was only used for a couple or three years - resurrected for the Classic series in 2010.
[/quote]

I meant comparing serials to the database rather than the confirmation from ernie ball, I see a lot of comments from people who have looked at basses either side of their serial and dating it from that, those pre EB bridges can pop up all over the place!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='eb2jim' timestamp='1351351778' post='1850464']
I would guess, based on limited info and pics, that it is 1987-89. Has gloss on the back of the neck, I think. 4 bolt. Clear guard and see through red is a mid 80s vibe. Has the decal on the back of the headstock, which is later. Could b
e as stated before, as late as 91. But if we are taking a gambling vibe, I will bet 88.
[/quote]

+1. I have an 89 exactly the same as this, and a matching fretless. Pics are in my sig, my 2 are both May '89. Trans Red, transparent Pickguard.