Why become a member? ×

Musical Integrity

[quote name='Machines' post='194577' date='May 8 2008, 12:26 PM']My previous band was reasonably heavy 'classic' metal. I think I preferred the music to listen to rather than to play - it was a lot of boring root noting against 2 loud guitarists.

My latest band is seriously funky with a bit of rock thrown in, much more fun.[/quote]

I have that situation at the moment, probably prefer to listen to the covers rather than play them, two guitars, not much room to move around with bass playing but the rest of the band are good guys, they're reliable, regular work too. But I would rather be out playing live than sitting at home complaining I have no gigs, keeps you on your toes no matter what you're playing :)

Our band plays everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top, via Nellie the Elephant. We have a hugely good time doing it, people love it and keep booking us, and as we're a 3-piece, the money works out reasonably too. We don't rehearse a lot, there are no conflicts - what's not to like? Musical integrity is a much overworked phrase that means very little. As far as I'm concerned, I'm doing what I enjoy most in the world, playing bass, and getting paid for it, and I consider myself very, very lucky, at 55, to have been able to get back in and have, so far, 5 years of fun. I'd love to turn pro. As I work in a guitar shop, my entire income does originate from music, but I'd love to able to say I'd done a tour, even if only for a couple of weeks!
So, to me, musical integrity means that music is integrated into my life! :)

Edited by Telebass

I play in the worship band at church (only been at this one 2 years) alternating weekly with another bass player. We're starting to get some of the more modern and challenging (and rocky. And fun...) stuff through that I'm more used to, and we have a lot of fun doing it (lots last night) but I have this nagging in the back of my mind all the time that I'd LOVE to be back in a proper band and play the pub circuit round here. R'n'B for me, given the choice! Haven't been in a band since - oohhh - 1983 I think. But again - wife / kids /work etc... you know the story.

I like this thread though, some good comments, like the 'Thirds' concept, and like a couple of others I've massively chilled as I've matured. Like a fine wine I think (my wife says more like a smelly cheese!). And since I won the drum machine in the Bass Bash raffle and played with some of the more unusual tracks my outlook has broadened yet again - and using the auto-wah on the POD XTL there's a very 70's disco sound there... and I HATE disco! (But ... it's so much fun to play!) and there's some other funky stuff developing along the way. My wife has a very mellow (sexy) singing voice and would make a fantastic blues/soul singer (both of which she likes). Now I just need a guitarist or 2 and a drummer and a sax an' a 'harp player... and... and ......

I am just glad to be playing again after 10 years "off".

I quite by accident got a bass gig with a local "indy rock" band but that means we play anything from Razorlight to the Stones/Who via Oasis. It's close to what i would like to do (straight hard rock'n'roll a la AC/DC), but only nearly there.

Being 37 (the rest of the band are 32-36), I don't really mind the musical mix, and we do our own songs as well (I haven't yet had an input on our own material). The two guitarists however, are only just noticing their indy outlook is founded on a hard rock rhythm section!

We are not really that skilful and we are best nailing the crowd with 3-4 chord basic song. However, all the best pop/rock is structured this way anyway.

I don't think it is really possible to learn to develop your own style without playing in a lot of different situations (both good and bad). I am always blown away by the average bar bands in the US when I visit - they are so committed, talented and tight and I've seen very few duff ones. Most musicians play in half a dozen different bands - covers bands, functions, etc as well as "serious" original music. The ones that I spoke to are pragmatic: the functions band helps to pay for the costs of running the originals band and also gives them valuable band experience playing songs they might otherwise never play. Some even played with the same musicians in each band. Better to do that then put up with a dead-end day job :)
So I say play what you like and use what equipment you like, so long as you put your heart into it and enjoy it then integrity will take care of itself.
I think musical integrity (or a lack of it) usually refers to critically-regarded acts that produce a very commercial album just to make loads of money (but even that is open to personal opinion)

Its a matter of perspective: A millionaire that plays 'art music' with no commercial value has no more integrity than a man or woman that plays a commercial gig to put food on the table of their children.

Integrity is great if you can afford it!

Anyone who makes the effort to learn to play in the first place and continues to do so irrespective of other influences must have [i]some[/i] integrity.
You have followed through on a purposive decision, namely to play bass...
Reasons for doing so are largely irrelevant, as they will vary from individual to individual and even from time to time.

I like the 2/3 calculator. It's about right in its practical application.