Why become a member? ×

Fishman Fission

jcater

• 4 months later...

Will have to let you know! Just had a lucky Ebay win - put in a stupidly low offer which, against all expectations, was accepted! Been a long time user of the Micro POG and Whammy for their octave up, but they've always been very digital sounding. Will be interested to try this out when it arrives.

The Fission is very similar to the Akai Unibass, and it is similarly hard to comment on how the Octave Up sounds for three reasons:
[list=1]
[*]The Octave Up can be modified quite widely on the Fission by use of the Distortion/Fuzz control and the Tone knob, or it can be fed clean into a dedicated fuzz pedal in which case much depends on which one you use.
[*]The output can be fed as a mix through your bass rig, or the Octave Up can be syphoned off and fed through a separate amp/rig/combo, or (my own preference) it can be syphoned off and routed through the PA. Each will give very different results.
[*]Biggest of all, the Octave Up always sounds (IMHO) very tinny and digital when heard independently or just against the bass. Play exactly the same thing in a real band situation and it sounds completely different.
[/list]

Just started using one and love it. Don't expect the octave up to sound very good without distortion though and the built in distortion leaves a bit to be desired with an after ring to it. I use the effect out through a distortion unit and then bring the two signals back together through my amp and it sounds amazing. Taking the octave out to a separate amp also sound great but you still need a lot of distortion.

If you want to make your bass sound like an 8 string, that it doesn't do, but it makes riffs sound killer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Fission finally arrived. Not blown away by the tone, but also don't find it radically different from the POG or Whammy. The 4th up setting is fairly pointless in my opinion, and the distortion nothing to write home about, but I can see a number of possibilities for it. Have yet to try it in a band setting, so we shall see...

It does sound totally different in a loud, live situation and with other instruments competing. I'm going to try a Behringer HD300 next gig as I found that the previous distortion sounded a bit bee in a jam jar.

During the sound check at the last gig, one of our fans came up and said that they really liked the Fission, the first time that they've commented on anything without being asked.

I tried that with a Custom Sound 30w combo, not live, just in the kitchen and it was quite impressive, probably the best I've got it sounding, but didn't want the hassle of taking another amp with me. May still try it live though just to see, or should that be hear.

ive been contemplating one of these (or something similar) to use live for all our EXTRA HEAVY bits, i'd probably just have it sent into a dedicated fuzz with some EQ and then into some sort of modelling DI and have a bit in the monitors