Why become a member? ×

Nickle vs Steel?

BASainty

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350997573' post='1845984']
Ive heard the Newtone name bounced around a lot and they seem to be getting good reviews, how much are they? and do they do nickles?
[/quote]

I think about £23 for a standard 4-string set. They are Nickel normally, but I order mine Steel as I have a reaction with Nickel. I also have custom gauges (112-82-61-45) for balanced tension, so compared to buying singles from the bigger manufacturers it works out a lot cheaper for me. They don't charge very much extra for custom orders, but there is a 2 set minimum for things like this.

[url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/bass_page.htm"]Newtone[/url]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1350721412' post='1842591']
How is that?
[/quote]

Exposure to nickel over a period of time can trigger nickel allergy. I'm highly allergic to nickel as a result of playing with nickel strings when I was younger, and using nickel strings now will result in my hands flaring up to the point it's too painful to play at all (and not pretty either).

It's a real pain in the tits, but thanks to optima golds, painted hardware and stainless steel frets I can still play. Hooray!

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been using the Legacy strings for a few weeks now and to be fair I love them! They produce a really nice wet deep tone which is exactly what I'm looking for. Only trouble is they don't have much choice in gauges. I'm currently trying out some Dunlop nickel plated steel strings, they sound and feel very different and I'm still trying to EQ them to stop them sounding so clanky, but they do give a nice mid and low end growl which is what I like. Can anyone suggest strings that are close to the Legacy strings but have more varied gauges?