Why become a member? ×

What would be the correct way to play different strings on the same fret

mentalextra

It depends what you're doing. If it's a quick thing on adjacent strings,then I may bar,briefly, or I may bring another
finger over. If I can though,I'll move to the next string with my fingertip and fret it like I would any other note.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1350590749' post='1841075']
There is a little phrase where I need to actually pluck the string and move quickly to the next. Barring means the first string will ring and it doesnt sound right. Three strings on one fret. Does this makes sense?
[/quote]
I think what you are describing is called a 'layover' (not a sleepover or a lie-in btw). Guitarists do it a lot. You are right, if you get more than one string sounding at once it will sound naff.

Alternative approaches:
1. Use different LH fingers.
2. Drag your fretting finger across the strings as you play (sweep fretting!?)
3. 'Roll' you LH mini-barre (Stop already! I'm ahead of you!) so that by the time you sound the second note, the first has stopped ringing.
4. If any of the notes can be played as an open string, precede or follow it with the other note fretted on that string.
5. Damp unwanted strings with your RH thumb or finger(s).

That should be enough to be going on with!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1350592344' post='1841104']
I think what you are describing is called a 'layover' (not a sleepover or a lie-in btw). Guitarists do it a lot. You are right, if you get more than one string sounding at once it will sound naff.

Alternative approaches:
1. Use different LH fingers.
2. Drag your fretting finger across the strings as you play (sweep fretting!?)
3. 'Roll' you LH mini-barre (Stop already! I'm ahead of you!) so that by the time you sound the second note, the first has stopped ringing.
4. If any of the notes can be played as an open string, precede or follow it with the other note fretted on that string.
5. Damp unwanted strings with your RH thumb or finger(s).

That should be enough to be going on with!
[/quote]

Yeah, great reply thanks. You explained it a lot better than I did!

Many thanks, Mike

• 3 months later...