Why become a member? ×

Dead spot on a fretless... What to do ?

Torben Hedstrøm

I haveI just cured the severe lack of mwah on my g towards the nut end.... I clamped a weight onto the headstock and it's now singing.

But It's now a neck dive ...ok for studio takes.

I did this after reading up about the bad finger ....but this is pretty poor for a CS fretless ....you would have thought they would have created a neck with a different period of resonance.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1350492430' post='1839668']
A long shot, but have you tried changing strings? Last time I got a "dead spot" on one of my fretlesses, it turned out to be a faulty string that had a slight bulge at that spot.
[/quote]

Yep had this too. Worth a try.
Had a dead spot on my WAL fretless back in 80's at same spot on G string. Just learned to live with it as i was playing in a rock band it wasn't too noticeable. Sold it and bought a very nice Jazz with pearl inlays.

Dave

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
Oh, and before the Dead Spots Don't Exist choir starts howling, here's evidence:

Of course I just play around it. ;)

Congrats, Torben.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Dead spots are a natural thing to do with the natural resonance of the wooden neck .... Placing heavy clamped weights on the headstock will shift the resonance of the neck in your favour....hopefully so that all the useable notes are not fighting that frequency. Ridiculous neck dive is inevitable.